Why become a member? ×

Lefty Ric ! oh my....

I know I know but i've wanted one of these for the last 7 years and have never come close to finding one.

this maybe a lucky find.... Eeep!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220997047876&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_13250wt_1270"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220997047876&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_13250wt_1270[/url]

oh lame i just had a thought. What about customs fee? will it get to our border then cost me another god know what to get it to my door? :blink:

ok i found this out

Total customs value: [b]£1839.84[/b] - Duty: [b]£68.07[/b] - VAT: [b]£381.58[/b] Total import duty & taxes due: [b]£449.66[/b] Total landed cost: [b]£2289.50[/b][size=1][right]at USD/GBP exchange rate of 0.629[/right][/size]

Edited by Bobo_Grimmer

[quote name='Bobo_Grimmer' timestamp='1334226234' post='1612726']
They do have a mixed response from people :) I've always been a fan ever since i listened to the jam [/quote]

I recently supported Bruce Foxton's 'From The Jam' locally and in homage to Bruce I took along my bright green (don't ask) and battered old Rick 4001 (and yes it's real Mr Hall). Before the bands started my 4001 was on stage in front of Bruce's giant Marshall rig and all the punter's were taking photos of it! :lol: Bruce plays a Fender Precision these days. ;)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1334234375' post='1612947']
I recently supported Bruce Foxton's 'From The Jam' locally and in homage to Bruce I took along my bright green (don't ask) and battered old Rick 4001 (and yes it's real Mr Hall). Before the bands started my 4001 was on stage in front of Bruce's giant Marshall rig and all the punter's were taking photos of it! :lol: Bruce plays a Fender Precision these days. ;)
[/quote]

Probably had an image rights claim from Mr Hall saying he couldn't use it in public.

I wouldn't spend that much to import an unseen/unplayed bass - especially since you are liable to be paying unpredictable import charges. Most I've paid was £400 for a G&L several years ago and it cost me around £125 VAT, sales tax and import duty on top from the US and that's after shipping! Why not buy my lovely green 4001 and have it professionally refinished and converted - to you sir 650 quid! ;) It may be my overly cautious nature but It's a hefty investment and remember you could get John Carling at John Birch or any number of UK luthiers to make you a lefty to your own spec for £1700. Not that I'm encouraging infringement of any copyright or anything of course.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1334256562' post='1613427']
I wouldn't spend that much to import an unseen/unplayed bass - especially since you are liable to be paying unpredictable import charges. Most I've paid was £400 for a G&L several years ago and it cost me around £125 VAT, sales tax and import duty on top from the US and that's after shipping! Why not buy my lovely green 4001 and have it professionally refinished and converted - to you sir 650 quid! ;) It may be my overly cautious nature but It's a hefty investment and remember you could get John Carling at John Birch or any number of UK luthiers to make you a lefty to your own spec for £1700. Not that I'm encouraging infringement of any copyright or anything of course.
[/quote]

Yeah the tax and import fee's do look scary. he has offered to declare it as $1100 to bring those charges down. I'm very cautious as i tried to get a Ric a few years back from the US and he ended up not sending it to me and i had tones of problems getting my £1500 back AND i lost some money in the process.

is your green 4001 a lefty? i may be interested sir..... ;)

Unfortunately its a righty :) - I'd also be cautious about his offer to lower its declared value although it may save your charges it means it won't be fully insured and it's illegal. I'm not knocking the seller as I have had no personal dealings with him but he does seem a tad keen to shift this on.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1334257593' post='1613448']
Unfortunately its a righty :) - I'd also be cautious about his offer to lower its declared value although it may save your charges it means it won't be fully insured and it's illegal. I'm not knocking the seller as I have had no personal dealings with him but he does seem a tad keen to shift this on.
[/quote]

I was thinking that. he is super keen to be getting off to me. Some more pictures he's sent me are interesting. it's very beaten up and has some very odd marks in strange paces on the body. i've sent him another mail about what they are. Also a lot of it's fixings are rusty or looking pretty shabby. I know it's 20 years old but it's very old looking.

This is my 70s one, the machinheads are pitted and the pickup pole pieces but the chrome is pretty good given the fact it was sprayed snot green,hacked to death and had the frets pulled out by some Cumbrian punks in the late 70s! Despite all this and the replacement scratchplate and TR cover the pickups and hardware are working and original and the trussrods are fine, it's a great player following a refret & quite few pounds worth of work by my local luthier! I was lucky with this one as I picked it up locally and spent nothing like what you are potentially going to on your lefty. Believe me bargains turn up in the daftest places. I'd hang on for one especially in this financial climate!
[attachment=104907:DSCF1539.jpg]
[attachment=104908:DSCF1541.jpg]