Why become a member? ×

Satin Doll

lobematt

I'm trying to learn Satin Doll at the min but I've found a couple of different versions of chord charts. I'm not sure the different chords I've got make that much difference though...

For example the first chart I found had |G-7 C7| % | FM7 | G-7 C7 | as the first 4 bars of the B section
and the second has |G-7 C7| % | FM7 | % |

As G-7 and C7 are the ii V of FM7 does it really matter which chart I follow??

Also while we're on the topic, I've been looking for a definitive Real Book but a lot of the reviews I've read on Amazon say they are all missing fairly important tunes or have common tunes such as Equinox in C#- instead of C-. Can anybody point me in the right direction for the 'most correct' real book, if there is such a thing!

Cheers

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1334066601' post='1610368']
I'm trying to learn Satin Doll at the min but I've found a couple of different versions of chord charts. I'm not sure the different chords I've got make that much difference though...

For example the first chart I found had |G-7 C7| % | FM7 | G-7 C7 | as the first 4 bars of the B section
and the second has |G-7 C7| % | FM7 | % |

As G-7 and C7 are the ii V of FM7 does it really matter which chart I follow??

Also while we're on the topic, I've been looking for a definitive Real Book but a lot of the reviews I've read on Amazon say they are all missing fairly important tunes or have common tunes such as Equinox in C#- instead of C-. Can anybody point me in the right direction for the 'most correct' real book, if there is such a thing!

Cheers
[/quote]
You'll be OK using either for Satin Doll, the variant is quite reasonable. This might not apply to other, more sophisticated songs, so tread carefully, just the same.
The 'errors' in the current (published...) Real books are not that important, I would suggest; more so as many 'Real Book' users play the songs, warts an' all, sometimes. If you're starting out on the long road that I think, I would suggest forgetting about those minor issues, get the Real Book from Amazon, and go through as many tunes as you can. Once you've done one, you won't be needing 'Real Book's, any more, anyway, you'll be transcribing yourself, I should hope.
Good luck with 'Satin Doll', you're on the right track.