Why become a member? ×

Fretless conversion

giblett123

G'day all,

I'm after some advice and I'm hoping a few of you will be able to help. I have a graft ACG harlot which I have up for sale at the mo' but to be honest I fancy keeping it, I'm toying with the idea of having it defretted, anyone know anything about this? is it a disaster waiting to happen? do you know anyone who could do the work (I'll email alan at ACG too) are we talking new board or can slots be filled? All advice gratefully received!
Cheers
Chris
PS
Nope, its not something I have the skill to attempt myself.

Edited by giblett123

Yeah the fret get removed and the slots will get filled with wood veneer. You can choose how conspicuous they look when you choose what type of wood they are filled with - maple = light lines etc.
If he's got the time you really should get Alan to do it - then remains an all original ACG. :)

Yup.. unless you're confident or under good instruction, take it either to ACG or a good repairer.
I was shown how to defret properly, but not before a comedy rosewood-splinters-flying-everywhere episode with a cheapish bass :blush:
I wouldn't risk your tasty instrument as your first experiment..

I did one myself years ago, not a bad effort really, but there were some marks left on the board and some shipping. Compare that to the defret I had The Gallery do or me and they're miles apart. Get it done professionally and you can have the choice of lines/no lines, dots removed, whatever, and all for not too much cash. Mine cost £110 including a set of La Bellas.

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1333631411' post='1604553']
Yep, the gallery do them, it would be round the £100 mark give or take, I'm assuming they did a fantastic job on yours? everything else I've had done there has been top drawer.
[/quote]yeah an absolutely fantastic job, I had The front dots replaced with rosewwod ones (on a SUB) and gout can barely tell they were there at all. Plays great too.

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1333693760' post='1605297']
Alan sent me a PM, the rosewood on this one will probably be too soft so it may be a no go, putting a new bard on it would be v costly too.
[/quote]

Get the defretted board coated with a polyester like a Pedulla, problem sorted.

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1333637625' post='1604641']
At the risk of awakening painful memories that are beginning to fade... Jon would do it!
[/quote]Yup but I think he's real busy at the mo, the two he's made me are sounding mighty good, can't put them down, not everyone fancies the pink one but it sounds the biz, mighty ballsy!

And don't forget a new nut is needed too because the slots in the nut are cut at a particular height to compensate with the frets heights, when there's no more frets your action will be higher so... if your nut still has some meat on it, the slots needs to be filed down a little further or a new one is on the cards. Do not attempt to file down the slots yourself unless you know what you are doing. A pro is recommended for that.