Why become a member? ×

Confused newbee-Amp all rounder for home use/gigging?

Pinball

Hi, I'm really confused as to what to buy.I am set up for some home recording, have a couple of nice bass guitars but don't have a bass amp.

Should I just buy a small amp say 30W combo and not worry about playing live for the moment?
Should I buy a larger combo that is fit for small gigs or practicing?
Should I buy and head and cab that could do everything?
There is loads of 2nd hand stuff out there what should I buy?

I was in the same boat with my guitar and bought a Peavey 80w combo and am happy with that. I can move it around and it sounds great.

I have to lug whatever I buy through the house so don't want anything I can't shift (dodgey shoulders).

At the moment I'm thinking cheap and small and buy something bigger and am hoping to pick something up locally in Bristol. I only have a couple of hundred to spend so what to buy?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Although I personally down like Ashdown (havent tried the MiBass yet though so willing to be proved a fool!) the Mag series combos seem to be well liked by forum users. They often turn up here for not much money and they're good enough to rehearse and gig with. If it's not loud enough to gig with, then the bass should be going via PA anyway!

In my experience, it's easier to have a single rig/setup for home, rehearsal and gig use. This way you get better acquainted with your gear and it means you dont have to pay for, effectively, the same thing 3 times.

Truckstop

+1 for a single rig.

Me - I'd go for a 300-ish watt head (I actually like some of the Ashdown Mag stuff...) and a 2x10 cab. Easier to lug around than a combo, and you can add another cab later if you want/need more volume.

Thanks all, that helps a lot. I now have a direction to follow. I tell you what it's a complicated business starting from scratch in a hurry. So many choices in recording equipment, basses number and type of strings, amplifier and speaker cabs. It's fun though and the advice on hear is invaluable.

[quote name='john the pond' timestamp='1333456169' post='1601902']
I would get something that can be upgraded as you progress. Combo's lack flexibility and if you want to get a combo make sure you get one that has a proper extension cab for when your needs grow.

Otherwise get a head and small cab so you can either add more small cabs or replace the small cab with big cabs when the time comes.
[/quote]

That depends on what kind of combo you go for. Genz Benz, Markbass & Ibanez are a few that have all the flexibility of a separate head/cab & can be quicker to set up when in a hurry.
Also the head is easily removed if you want a different cab to go with it.
2x10 cabs/combos are a good route & you can add another 2x10 for more volume if needed.

Depends on what make you want to go for. If you got a 1x15 cab or combo, then you could just add another 1x15 if you needed more volume.
In theory, a 1x15 is louder than the equivalent 2x10 (as it covers a larger area, therefore can push more air). Best advice is to go & play through a few different bits of gear & see what you like the sound of.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1333447432' post='1601705']
Although I personally down like Ashdown (havent tried the MiBass yet though so willing to be proved a fool!)
[/quote]
You won't be proved fool...the MiBass is a fantastic amp.

Bish bosh bash sorted!

Ashdown Mag EVO II and Peavey Black Widow 15" cab being sold 5 mins drive from my work. Amp has a few knocks but everything works fine, cab has even more knocks and needs a deep clean-no way I will be allowed to put it in the house as it is. It is covered with years of beer soaked dirt but I got them both under under my "couple of hundred" budget. Lets hope there isn't some unknown problem lurking!

If only my whole life was that simple!

Thanks again.