Why become a member? ×

Are you familiar with vintage Epiphone ET 280s?

Hi folks..

I've found my old Bass in the garage and am trying to unearth some details about it.

I might sell it as I no longer use it so knowing the details would be useful. From what I can deduce from searching the Web, it's probably a Epiphone ET 280 from around 1975, but I can't be sure as there seems to be a few similar looking models from around this same era, and I don't know if it was built in Japan or not, I can't find any info as to where it was built.

The person I bought it from said he bought it in Birmingham, UK around about 1979, this is all I know about it.

It's taken a few knocks (mostly from before I owned it), and I recall there being a slight problem with it cutting out whenever I moved too much (most likely a problem with the output jack) and also the bridge plate is missing (probably gone forever).

Plus, any idea how much I should ask for it? I've been made aware by my local guitar shop owner that he'd like it as part of his personal collection but I'm not so sure he'd offer me a good price as, I'm told, he can be a bit slick.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't look after it a bit more, but it's too late for that now.

I'm uploading a couple of photos so you can take a look and tell me what you think if you like. I'd be grateful for any information or tips that might be usable.

Thanks very much, and rock on.

I've bought one of these myself recently but it turned out to be a bit of a wreck so I lost the motivation to get it finished in any hurry.

I'd be interested in buying, as between the 2 basses I'm sure I could assemble one good one :) If I recall from when I was looking, they can fetch around £450 in mint condition, but yours looks a long way from that I'm afraid.

Let me know when you have an idea of what you want for it.

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1333365564' post='1600526']
I've bought one of these myself recently but it turned out to be a bit of a wreck so I lost the motivation to get it finished in any hurry.

I'd be interested in buying, as between the 2 basses I'm sure I could assemble one good one :) If I recall from when I was looking, they can fetch around £450 in mint condition, but yours looks a long way from that I'm afraid.

Let me know when you have an idea of what you want for it.
[/quote]
£450! Was that from a shop, as it seems waaaaay over the odds to me.

I bought a tidy example for £130 a few years ago, and if I remember correctly Tayste sold an even nicer one on here for the same kind of money.

They were made by Matsumoku in the early seventies, but that's all I know about them.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1333487590' post='1602539']
[/quote]
I'm not sure that one actually sold at that price, just what was being asked. I agree it was certainly steep. It was on some euro sales forum if I recall.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1333487590' post='1602539']

I bought a tidy example for £130 a few years ago, and if I remember correctly Tayste sold an even nicer one on here for the same kind of money.

They were made by Matsumoku in the early seventies, but that's all I know about them.
[/quote]

Yep I had one, very good condition and got around that I don't really recall the exact amount I'd say somewhere between 150-200.

They aren't all that desirable and for the value they are far more fun to just wack some flats on and thump away. Basically a better bass than the sub 200 you'll get for it, might be worth sticking under a bed for another 20 years but end of the day it's a low cost production bass out of Japan in the 70's

Hope this helps