Why become a member? ×

1/2 size Dbs

thunderbird13

Sorry if this has been asked before and I’m sure it’s the sort of thing which would be ( I tried searching but the web site doesn’t recognise ½ in the search terms , it reads it as 12 !) but does anyone have any experience of ½ size DB’s. I’ve seen a few of them for sale recently within my budget and I’m curious about them. For me the biggest thing is portability as I don’t have access to a car so a ¾ size is probably out of the question but would a ½ size offer a more flexible option or would it offer the worst of both worlds. Also is there a big difference in playing a ¾ compared to a ½ size so if I moved from one to the other would I have to relearn everything

Cheers

I would warn against them. They are cheap, an attractive trait obviously, but they are very small and lack credibility as professional instruments. Also, if you are anywhere near average height it will look a bit silly. I had one for about 18 months and it was pretty hopeless. The bloke who sold it to me (a dealer) should never have let me buy it. I ended up with CTS and a very long delay in getting properly started on the instrument.

What is your budget? There are starter instruments to suit most budgets without having to buy a half sixe.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1332837648' post='1593633']
Thanks - I was thinking around the £300 mark - and I'm thinkiing now towards an EUB as I simply wouldnt be able to transport a full size bass anywhere
[/quote]

here we go ......whoo hoo!
Thunderbird we can be Noobies together :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1332758241' post='1592512']
I would warn against them. They are cheap, an attractive trait obviously, but they are very small and lack credibility as professional instruments.
[/quote]

Well it depends.

When I was about 11 years old, my father found a Chamber Bass - effectively this was a half-size DB, intended for use in chamber music. No issues with credibility. Eventually we sold it when I outgrew it , and bought a 3/4 size bass which I still have.

Said 3/4 size bass is now in a gig-bag that I can comfortably carry on my back. At the time though, I mostly used public transport and carried the bass with me. Most buses and trains can cope with the size and a 3/4 bass isn't very heavy (certainly less than a lightweight 2x10 cabinet).

So although it's not impossible to find decent quality small basses, I'd challenge your assertion that a 3/4 is out of the question just because you don't have a car.

Check [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHQzHdR-Ck&feature=related"]this[/url] out

This Kolstein Travel bass has a string stop of 39" which I think is about 1/2 size

The newer model has a slightly longer speaking length of a little over 40"

And here's [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2O3WIhILKs&feature=relmfu"]Miroslav[/url] playing a big bass just to compare sound

After I sold my Kolstein Travel bass to Clarky last year it got me thinking about the possibility of finding a good 1/2 size bass to replace it.

I ended up with another Kolstein which I love, but I'd still like to find a decent 1/2 size to experiment with.

If you're going to amplify the bass then a smaller instrument could have loads of benefits.

i.e. easier to play? easier to transport, lighter weight, less feedback?

Having owned 2 Kolsteins and an Eminence now the "bigger sounds better" argument is over for me.

Sorry I've not found out how to embed a video yet

Edited by Mr Bassman