Why become a member? ×

Fender or Marshall bass amp help!

Mattbass97

What would go for a fender rumble 150 head with fender rumble 410 cab or Marshall mb4210 combo?

I play rock orientated stuff (foo fighters) as my main genre with my band but I play everything from blues to acid jazz to funk to rock!

I've played through a fender rumble 150 into a Marshall 410 can before and it copes volume wise but I also have a Marshall mb30 and I want to know which one of the two options (mb4210 or rumble combo) will give me the most volume? I know more speakers is more air moved but I was wondering if the Marshall will be as loud or louder. I like the tone of both but prefer the Marshall just abit.

Comments and answers please!

Many thanks! :D

The Marshall will be louder. I used to have the 4210, and used it in a heavy rock band with 2 gtrs using Marshall half-stacks, and a very loud drummer. Admittedly, for gigs I took along the matching 115, but that was more for the look than the needing another cab, although it does beef up the sound a lot. Volume wise, combo on its own, it used to be on about 5/6, with plenty more available (7 was wayyyyy too much).

I used a Fender Rumble 100 combo last week at a gig. Fantastic tone, but run flat out I couldn`t hear myself. 50 more watts I wouldn`t think would make that much more difference.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1332589844' post='1590359']
I've got a Marshall MB 4210 which I use with a 1 x 15 ext cab, it's LOUD, never got anywhere near full volume,
[/quote]

What about reliability? Could write me a mini review Please?

Thanks

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1332589516' post='1590350']
The Marshall will be louder. I used to have the 4210, and used it in a heavy rock band with 2 gtrs using Marshall half-stacks, and a very loud drummer. Admittedly, for gigs I took along the matching 115, but that was more for the look than the needing another cab, although it does beef up the sound a lot. Volume wise, combo on its own, it used to be on about 5/6, with plenty more available (7 was wayyyyy too much).

I used a Fender Rumble 100 combo last week at a gig. Fantastic tone, but run flat out I couldn`t hear myself. 50 more watts I wouldn`t think would make that much more difference.
[/quote]

One thing to be in mind of, the early models in this range had some reliability issues. An acquaintance I know works at Marshall, and he said that they literally had to redo the early batches, as they weren`t put together too well. This has now sorted itself out.

From the MB range I`ve had the MB4210 combo, MB115 speaker cab, MB30 practice amp, MB450 head, and MB410 cab. Not a problem with any of them. I bought my first setup, the 4210 & 115 in 2007, a mate of mine now has the 4210, and he`s never had any problems with it either.

I also had the MB4210 - with the MBC115 extension cab. In either config - was loud. Sounded very nice with the extension. I actually had the 450 watt head, the 2x10 combo and the 1x15 cab which I used as a stack. All of them had to be returned to Marshall for repairs - although Marshall did turn them around very quickly. Very loud and great sound - not so reliable.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1332627246' post='1591020']
One thing to be in mind of, the early models in this range had some reliability issues. An acquaintance I know works at Marshall, and he said that they literally had to redo the early batches, as they weren`t put together too well. This has now sorted itself out.

From the MB range I`ve had the MB4210 combo, MB115 speaker cab, MB30 practice amp, MB450 head, and MB410 cab. Not a problem with any of them. I bought my first setup, the 4210 & 115 in 2007, a mate of mine now has the 4210, and he`s never had any problems with it either.
[/quote]

I'd be buying mine brand new would the issues have been addressed properly? Is Marshalls mb series now completely reliable compared to 2007? I've got a mb30 and has had it since August and it's been a tank ever since will it be the same for the 4210? (I do hope so)

Thanks

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1332629342' post='1591048']
I also had the MB4210 - with the MBC115 extension cab. In either config - was loud. Sounded very nice with the extension. I actually had the 450 watt head, the 2x10 combo and the 1x15 cab which I used as a stack. All of them had to be returned to Marshall for repairs - although Marshall did turn them around very quickly. Very loud and great sound - not so reliable.

[/quote]

That's one kick ass rig haha

It was plenty loud. Never really used it at more than 3. I bought it all new - hence how I was able to get Marshall to repair under warranty. Bought it all in 2009 I think. The lead connector on the cab became intermittent. When they fixed it, it was solid as a rock. One of the speaker leads on the cab became loose - both solid as a rock when it was returned. Also the combo developed a rattle - which was put down to a loose valve socket. When I played live I played bi-amped with this rig, so if anything blew, I'd be covered. Nothing actually failed more than once - bit three failures in one year put me off it a bit.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1332630397' post='1591058']
It was plenty loud. Never really used it at more than 3. I bought it all new - hence how I was able to get Marshall to repair under warranty. Bought it all in 2009 I think. The lead connector on the cab became intermittent. When they fixed it, it was solid as a rock. One of the speaker leads on the cab became loose - both solid as a rock when it was returned. Also the combo developed a rattle - which was put down to a loose valve socket. When I played live I played bi-amped with this rig, so if anything blew, I'd be covered. Nothing actually failed more than once - bit three failures in one year put me off it a bit.
[/quote]

We would like to think someone as big as Marshall have sorted the problems by 2012!

there's been quite a few threads about this amp, concensous seems to be great sounding amps very good value for money but early ones did have QC issues, as did mine, but once they were sorted I had no trouble at all, apart from the covering rips rather easily.

[quote name='Mattbass97' timestamp='1332585161' post='1590253']
What would go for a fender rumble 150 head with fender rumble 410 cab or Marshall mb4210 combo?

I play rock orientated stuff (foo fighters) as my main genre with my band but I play everything from blues to acid jazz to funk to rock!

I've played through a fender rumble 150 into a Marshall 410 can before and it copes volume wise but I also have a Marshall mb30 and I want to know which one of the two options (mb4210 or rumble combo) will give me the most volume? I know more speakers is more air moved but I was wondering if the Marshall will be as loud or louder. I like the tone of both but prefer the Marshall just abit.

Comments and answers please!

Many thanks! :D
[/quote]

Personally :)

I wouldn't buy the Rumble 150 head, I'd go for the 350 and stick that with the 410.

Overall though, the Marshall and Fender ranges seem quite similar so I suppose in a way it'll just come down to what you want written on the front of your rig :)

Personally I'd go for the Fender head and cab, but that's only because I own the Rumble 350 combo, I know what it sounds like, I'm familiar with it and I quite like it.