Why become a member? ×

Cleaning Maple Bass

super.rad

I had a quick search but couldn't seem to find much. I recently bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz which has a maple body and neck. I've read a few guides about what to use to clean basses on other sites but all of them said not to use things like lemon oil etc on maple but they didnt say what could be used. I want to buy some stuff so I can keep this bass clean and sounding it's best but not sure what is safe to use on maple. If someone could tell me what is the best to use for cleaning the body and the neck/fretboard
[url="http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Guitar_Care_Products_156.html"]Highly Strung, Guitar Care Products[/url] Are any of these ok to use?
Or even better if someone knows a UK site that sells the kits (cloth, cleaning product etc) that is for maple. Thanks

Just water and a cloth. Maple necks have finishes on them which rosewood and ebony etc etc don't because they need constant oiling. Just use water as it won't damage the finish in any way. That should get rid of any of the dirt on the fretboard, and if it doesn't you're a scruffy bastard! :) (if you have a nice thick buildup use a credit card or something to scrape it off first)

Edited by budget bassist

Where have you heard not to use lemon oil on maple?

I assume when you are talking about cleaning maple etc you are talking about the main part of the body, looking on the web it looks gloss sealed so the body and rear of the neck can be wiped down with a dry cloth pretty much anytime and every now and again you can use a bit of furniture polish to give your bass a bit of a wipe and it will lift off any grime that your usual dry wipe down won't have taken off.

I need to look into or have more info on the fingerboard as that also looks sealed... and I certainly need to establish why you can't use lemon oil on maple when you can on all other fingerboard woods that I know of. I can only assume that the lemon oil might colour the maple which is very pale. Hmmm

on a side note lemon oil is good for cleaning the back of the neck but not the board itself if it's maple. You shouldn't need anything more than water on that. On the body any sort of polish should do. On the last glossy finished guitar i had (i don't like them much so i haven't had many) i used £2 car polish from wilkos, that stuff was really good.