Why become a member? ×

SWR Redhead tube alternatives

Mike1962

It won't make a huge difference, but the GT tubes SWR used to fit can be a bit brittle sounding. I've used old GE 12ax7 and 5751's with good results. The 12ax7 just sounded "better"...nothing dramatic, just a bit warmer and clearer. The 5751 has a lower gain, so reduces your input level a bit, but also sounds fuller and stronger. Sorry about the technical language.

I've also used Electro Harmonic/Sovteks with success, but the old USA valves did sound better to me. But only a bit, listening in isolation. On a gig you wouldn't notice much difference, unless you were recording from the DI output of the preamp.

I'd go for a Sovtek as a first try and see if you can hear any change. Go to Watford Valves ( or similar) and see what they suggest for around £15? the older GE valves weren't very expensive a few years ago, but they've gone up a lot since then.

While you are at it you might as well change the TL072s in there, there are probably 8. A better spec BurrBrown or Analog Devices chip or even a Philips 5532 will lower the idle noise considerably, by about 10dB, anecdotally. (It is a very perceivable difference, it will sound like Dolby NR switched on if you are old enough to remember Dolby).

• 1 year later...

I've just ordered a [font="Helvetica"][color="#000000"]Harma ECC83 Retro Cryo (12AX7) valve from Watford Valves to go in my SWR Redhead. It'll be interesting to see what this sounds like...? Just had a look inside the amp though, and there's a CINCH damper/shield around the valve, which I can't remove. Does anyone have any experience of removing the CINCH and the valve and then replacing the valve and putting back the CINCH!?[/color][/font]

I've not had great experiences with the Harma retro personally. I've had 4, two (cryo) sounded good for a while then started crackling, the other two (non-cryo) sounded OK, but not great.

I've found the most consistently awesome Preamp valve for me is the JJ ECC803S I've got these in both my amps now. But they are quite hi-gain so you might be better with JJ ECC83-S - I have one in my DHA pedal and its also warm and loverly and nothing like the cost of a NOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the advise BassBod. I was scared of shattering the valve into a thousand pieces but it turned out to be a cinch in the end! Thanks BrenSabre, I took your advise and went for a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]JJ ECC83-S.. it's sounding fat! [/font][/color]