Why become a member? ×

Garageband help please.

Pinball

Hi, I'm doing my first original recording on Garage band.

Everything I do is part of the learning process.

What I do is to transferr a drum track from my looper, for say 6 minuites and then put the rest of the instruments on. The problem is that when I am finished and cut the tracks to the length of the recording I want, I'm left with a couple of minuites of blank space at the end that I can't get rid of.
According to the vids I see on youtube I should be able to highlight the unnused block of space with the curser while pressing "control" and then delete (backspace?) the whole lot. I just can't get it to work. The result is that I end up with a 4 minuite recording that rolls on for another 2 mins of silance.

I should add that this is an old version of Garageband as the mac was made around 2005/6.

Any advice would be much appreciated as Soundcloud becons!

You should be able to see a graduated rule - the timeline indicator marked off in minutes or bars, depending on how you set Garageband to show song progress. This will be immediately above the top track, so long as you haven't got loop playback for the whole song enabled.

Scroll right to the end of the song, and in the timeline you should see a small triangle pointing to the left. Drag this back to the 4 minutes marker or where the song should end.

Job done. :)

I've had this a lot. You need to look for the little arrow on the timeline (see the screenshot I've attached - it's the one on the 33 in the timeline). This indicates the end of the track. You may find that it's gone way off over to the right and you'll have to hunt for it.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that has helped me when recording live to Garageband is a USB Mic (Blue Microphones 'Yeti', £67 from Amazon), as the condenser mic on the Macbook Air is tiny and misses a lot. It also has an omnidirectional setting which is ideal for placing in the middle of a band jam.

Cool thanks, I'm recording solo directly into a mac so its not really an issue for me.
I am using a Rolant Tric-capture USB as the interface. This suits me fine as I can plug my mic and jacks and its a nice simple to use pit of kit. I'm also finding that Garageband has everything I need at the moment. I already have several tunes on Soundcloud and my recording skills are improving.

Edited by Pinball

I love garageband. Had it for about a year, and learning new stuff all the time!
Out of interest, what do you use for your drums? Do you just use samples of garageband? Make your own on Midi? Or do you have another programme that you take samples off and load into garageband?

I use EZdrummer for drums in GarageBand (and in Reaper now that I've moved over to using Reaper). SImple to use, can get a good sound out of it and not too expensive. BFD2 is another option that others rate as well as EZdrummer too but I've not used it so can't compare them.

I'm planning to follow Mornats advice and try EZdrummer but first I need to get a newer mac. The operating system on my current one won't support the new version of Garage band so first newer mac and then EZ drummer.

At the moment I load in drum tracks off my JM4 looper and mess around with them (see my Soundcloud link). The looper is my most used bit of kit. There are some awsome tracks on there but I want electronic/house beats and haven't got the time to make them.

In that case, check out GrooveMonkee's Electronic midi drum pack: [url="http://www.groovemonkee.com/en/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4&category_id=1"]http://www.groovemonkee.com/en/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4&category_id=1[/url]. They all work in EZdrummer and other drum packages too. Do a bit of googling for a discount code too. The current one (from their April newsletter) is gm10 for 10% off.

For my tracks I use either the standard pop/rock drum kit that comes with EZdrummer or the Classic kit (a ~£50 expansion or the Funkmasters expansion, again ~£50). EZdrummer sometimes comes in a bundle with one of the expansions for not much more than EZdrummer itself. DV247.com have a shop in Clifton too so you can pop in and chat to the guys in there and if they haven't got one in stock, they can order one in.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1334171445' post='1612081']
In that case, check out GrooveMonkee's Electronic midi drum pack: [url="http://www.groovemonkee.com/en/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4&category_id=1"]http://www.groovemon...4&category_id=1[/url]. They all work in EZdrummer and other drum packages too. Do a bit of googling for a discount code too. The current one (from their April newsletter) is gm10 for 10% off.

For my tracks I use either the standard pop/rock drum kit that comes with EZdrummer or the Classic kit (a ~£50 expansion or the Funkmasters expansion, again ~£50). EZdrummer sometimes comes in a bundle with one of the expansions for not much more than EZdrummer itself. DV247.com have a shop in Clifton too so you can pop in and chat to the guys in there and if they haven't got one in stock, they can order one in.
[/quote]
Sorted, new 2nd hand mac and EZDrummer +the elecronic pack. It took me 3 nights to manage to down load it and figure out how to start it but I'm there now. Now I need to use it!