Why become a member? ×

Quandary. blow out gig for better payer..?

JTUK

I would be very loathe to leave the pub in the lurch if its a good regular gig and you have a good relationship with the landlord, but 3 months is plenty of notice for the pub to rearrange the gig and get another band for the night

Edited by peteb

I may be way off the mark but this sounds almost like these gigs aren't the real issue and it's more about some ill feelings within the band.

Our drummer is a c##k and is totally obsessed with money and it has nearly split our band on numerous occasions. We eventually offered him a way out and said we all want to play regularly more than earn big bucks and he has backed right down.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1331764865' post='1578692']
I may be way off the mark but this sounds almost like these gigs aren't the real issue and it's more about some ill feelings within the band.

Our drummer is a c##k and is totally obsessed with money and it has nearly split our band on numerous occasions. We eventually offered him a way out and said we all want to play regularly more than earn big bucks and he has backed right down.
[/quote]

All the guys are right...it is long enough in advance... but I only took the gig last week and I called them to get it rather than the other way round. So...that doesn't look so great.
And yes..I do think think this goes deeper than blowing out a gig altho that is bad enough,.... it probably goes to control being hijacked. I prefer a 5 way decision of important things, and always intended as such,
but this is maybe another example of someone running roughshod over that stance. I wont use principle..as I think we are losing or have lost all sight of those.

It isn't the money for me... but I accept others see it diferently... but we all moan when someone blows out a gig as it should be first come-first served .. and that should apply to us as a band as well.

The band is great, but there is an underlying theme I am less than comfortable with... and this is one such example.

If the deal was it was all about money at the beginning..then I wouldn't have gone with that anyway..hence the non-function band theme I determined.
And it isn't so much my control..it is that I wanted 5 voices to have their say...and I will get outvoted on this particular issue, anyway.

Maybe, I am just having a precious day..!!

Reschedule the gig then you're not letting anyone down.

We've just had to move our Half Moon Putney date, at 4 weeks notice, to let the Blockheads in and the covers band has rescheduled several pub gigs in the last month.

Happens all the time.

Regardless if this is gigs or any other commitment to provide a service, In these situations you have to honour your promise, but that does not mean you can't get out if it

Ask the landlord if he would really be that bothered at this stage to reschedule, and explain that the other gig will be good for your band, but all the time stress you won't back out of your commitment to him unless he allows you too, most decent people will appriciate that and unless they have a serious reason to insist you stick to your date (such as putting effort into promotion etc), hopefully they'll let you pull out

But you have to be prepared to play taking that approach