Why become a member? ×

Dont you love it when things just "work"

Nibody

So I spent 4 hours yesterday with my original guitarist auditioning prospective members for re-forming an old band we had going years ago. Have to say that I dont think I have felt this pumped in a long time with regards to music and bands.

First up was the vocalist, a realy decent modest chap, with stage prescence and one heck of a set of pipes on him, reminiscent of Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy). totaly enthused and stayed for an extra 3 hours to help us with the rest of the auditions.

Drummer - little rusty but a good player, really chilled bloke, some nice little tricks and feel coming in there - and having worked with another drummer on and off for 20 years it was so refreshing to not feel like I was having to constanly reign him in. Realised I spent SO much of my time previously frantically trying to prevent the old drummer from speeding up, or glaring at him when he got bits wrong as he was trying to showboat. Despite not having access to his accoustic kit, and playing left handed on a kit that was set up right handed he had mapped out exactly what he wanted to do for the songs (we were due to audition another drummer after him so as the kit was rack mounted he didnt want to re-arrange it as the other guy would have had to re-do it eating up time, but the guy didnt show - Fate?). Fitted right in.

Keyboards - lovely lady, slight taste for evanescence songs but we'll forgive her for that! Ran through a few songs with her (Unfortunately the singer had to leave before we hit her audition). Then the Magic happened. One of our old songs (Titled Beautiful Day For the Rain on my soundcloud) was completely transformed. Suddenly it didnt sound the mess I always thought it did at the time, and ended up something like a cross between "The Gaslight Anthem" and "Biffy Clyro". Stuff just started to "fit".

Then there is the bizzare upside to it. I've always been a Precision player. Solidly. Itook along my VM Jazz and one of my P's. And the Jazz won. Ioved the sound (Studio had Ampeg SVT450's as standard with Ampeg 8x10 cabs - not the greatest Ampeg ever made but useable). It just "fitted"

Early days but I feel something special is brewing here - not bad for a 40year old who gave up playing for 10 years.

Have to thank Trev at Circle for a conversation we had by PM which made me think this was worth at least trying.