Why become a member? ×

Lurked a lot ..... but now started posting !!!

lurksalot

it is about time I introduced myself .
My name is Kev and I live in Chester,.....top marks so far

My introduction to Bass was late 70's , when as an air guitar hero, head banging away , and an uncles old keyboard and Vox amp in the garage , the neighbour told me her son had a guitar that he did not use any longer .... did I want it ?
thanks a lot but FFS it had an odd shaped lightweight body and only 4 strings and they were wrapped in sdome black tape ??? Oh and the neck had a bit of a gap where it used to fit to the body and a few splinters to boot .

Anyway , a couple or 3 1inch wood screws sorted the latter issue and as I had amplification, Bob became my dads brother

I knew what chords on a keyboard were, and thus knew root notes, consequently played the piece of crap for a few months at school assemblies and churchy stuff , cos no one else had such a thing.
when I left school I gave it to my brother who soon grew out of it and got some Ibanez stuff and played half seriously ,did some recording and played some decent gigs .....before getting a proper job as a council cleansing operative ( bin man .... when bin manning [b]was[/b] a proper job, not just wheeling a bin 5 yards)

Suffice to say, neither of us knew what a Hofner violin bass was back then , and even less how to look after one :lol: ,.
Nothing happened music wise (apart from listening) for a while ..........then got married :D .... :unsure: ..... :D ......kids . :gas:...... B) ..... :gas: then out of the blue the missus asked the neighbour (a late developing blues guitardist) to choose a new bass for my birthday . Before I knew it I was the proud owner of a brand new Yamaha rbx270 . I picked it up, played it through a keyboard ( and f***ed the speakers on it) and put it down etc etc . until I tried to learn wings/mcartney Silly Love songs and dancing in the moonlight (lizzy/lynot) and then I was hooked again .

By this time ,said neighbour ( a late developing blues guitardist) had parted Co with his bands Bass player and I was draughted

After a few years of the same set :( , I needed another challenge so quit to do some recording , however , I fell in with a bunch of guys who are far more talented than I , and we ROCK , we all love it , gig regularly , and really get on and respect each other , which amazes me , cos while I practice a fair bit I would not put myself in their league, but as me and sticks hold it down for us , it works .

anyway , In still have the RBX270 but have fitted di marzio pups, play a spector ( not sure what model, but I love it) as first choice, warwick streamer std fretless ( melts in your hands lovliness) when I can, and on a stupid whim of a recent purchase, a Hutchins violin bass ( :lol: I hear you say) but I have it very nearly set up to play , and without the 3 1inch screws holding the neck on , it seems a little easier to get the action half decent .

box wise , I have a warwick Profet 3. something (a rehearsal amp/gigging preamp) , Yamaha ps2500 x2 , zoom 2.1bu , peavey bassfex, schroeder 210112L , warwick 410 , homemade 1x15 beast with a eminence DLF ( for grabs if any takers) and a couple mini tapered horns I knocked up for reinforcement .

To summarise , I am totally impressed with the level of debate , info , and openness on here , that I intend to Lurk for some time .....Oh .....and stick my oar in aswell .....both to stir :P and smooth if I can

Kev

Edited by lurksalot