Why become a member? ×

Amp Purchase Advice needed

Nibody

I've come into £600 from my Grandad passing away, so I'm looking to upgrade from the Ampeg B115HP combo I've owned for about 5 months. In addition to the £600 I'll have whatever I can get for the Ampeg combo.

I'm a bit stuck - I'm looking at possibly getting an Ampeg PF500 with the two matching Cabs but I'm open to other suggestions. Ive used one of the Ashdown Evo amps, and it wasn't bad but not sure if its "me".

I want the flexibility to drag an Amp head to rehersals on its own (Rehersal space has some nice cabs) so I can use "my" sound without messing around, and the flexibility to add and remove Cabs depending on the situation so a combo is out of the question.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1331311666' post='1571272']
Give some sound examples that you are after. And hit up the for sale section. And get a Barefaced cab, if you can find one s/h so it won't eat too much budget.
[/quote]

Somewhere between The Ox on Quadraphenia (Particularly the Real Me), The headroom for a bit of JJ Burnelle Growl (a' la' Something Better Change), Pete Way (Doctor Doctor) and JPJ - from The Ocean to Ramble On

That sort of grrr on a budget says Sansamp character epdals, maybe the Hiwatt one, but the VT bass is easier to get cheap and better known, can go pretty cheap on the power amp, and leave budget for a Barefaced cab. Kind of a cobbled together looking rig, but function over form. Peavey IPR is value for money and weight for power amp, a Peavey something else is much cheaper but heavy.

[url="http://www.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/428492/behringer-bass-v-amp-pro-behringer-europower-ep1500-bass-guitar-rig"]http://www.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/428492/behringer-bass-v-amp-pro-behringer-europower-ep1500-bass-guitar-rig[/url] just spotted this (Flightcased) at my local Crap Convberters.. but its Behringer.

The PF500 with two of the PF cabs would be a great stack, but will always sound like an Ampeg - good in my book, but is that versatile enough for your needs.

When I was looking at a new amp, I called The Bass Merchant, and their recommendation was the Genz Benz Streamliner for a very versatile amp, with tube tones.

TC Electronic amps are very versatile too, down to the Tubetone & Spectracomp features.

Ultimately, it`s going to be a case of let your ears decide. Find a shop with as may amps in stock as possible - call in advance and tell them what your looking for - and then spend half a day trying them out. A decent shop should be happy with this if getting a sale, especially one of the bass dedicated ones.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331319565' post='1571460']
The PF500 with two of the PF cabs would be a great stack, but will always sound like an Ampeg - good in my book, but is that versatile enough for your needs.

When I was looking at a new amp, I called The Bass Merchant, and their recommendation was the Genz Benz Streamliner for a very versatile amp, with tube tones.

TC Electronic amps are very versatile too, down to the Tubetone & Spectracomp features.

Ultimately, it`s going to be a case of let your ears decide. Find a shop with as may amps in stock as possible - call in advance and tell them what your looking for - and then spend half a day trying them out. A decent shop should be happy with this if getting a sale, especially one of the bass dedicated ones.
[/quote]

My original Amp was a Trace 250w Combo - hated it. Played on a mates Ampeg and loved it.Nearest for me is PMT in Brum, but their capacity to "do a deal" has waned somewhat since the old 'Exchanges closed. Used to be able to play one off against the other.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1331317521' post='1571390']
[url="http://www.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/428492/behringer-bass-v-amp-pro-behringer-europower-ep1500-bass-guitar-rig"]http://www.cashconve...bass-guitar-rig[/url] just spotted this (Flightcased) at my local Crap Convberters.. but its Behringer.
[/quote]

Wouldn't bother, too much fiddling to realise the potential good there.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1331321157' post='1571487']
My original Amp was a Trace 250w Combo - hated it. Played on a mates Ampeg and loved it.Nearest for me is PMT in Brum, but their capacity to "do a deal" has waned somewhat since the old 'Exchanges closed. Used to be able to play one off against the other.
[/quote]
O no when did musical exchanges close? i used to spend most saturdays in that place when i lived up that way and loved the place !

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1331324631' post='1571549']
O no when did musical exchanges close? i used to spend most saturdays in that place when i lived up that way and loved the place !
[/quote]
Good while back - they changed to something else then whent bust