Why become a member? ×

Wiring a P Bass without a tone control

Jono Bolton

Hi

I'm getting a P Bass scratchplate cut for just a single volume pot and a jack, but I'm a novice when it comes to wiring so I though I'd post here to ask for some advice. I've attached a diagram for P Bass wiring, and I guess my question is, if I were to follow the diagram but leave out the Tone pot and capacitor, would that work? That would be connecting the white wire from the pickup to the left hand tab on the volume pot a wire, a wire connecting the middle tab to the jack socket, and the black wire from the pickup and the right hand tab both grounded to the casing.

Has anyone done this before or does anyone have enough know-how with wiring to tell me if this will work?

Thanks

Very necessary, make sure the inner of the jack socket is connected, (black wire usually), that's where the 'ground' comes into your bass via the cable, some metal control plates rely on mechanical continuity but a wire soldered to the pot body is the best.

Cheerz, john

You do realise that leaving out the tone control pot and cap will result in getting a 'tone control set to maximum treble'?

If that's what you're after then that's fine, if not then you might want to add a little preset and capacitor and just tuck it inside the body cavity when you've found the tone you're after.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1331138532' post='1568318']
Yes - what you're thinking is fine :) the black to the jack socket with the black from the pick up to the pot casing & the bridge ground wire too.
[/quote]

I didn't see your edit until after I'd replied! So instead of having the wire that connects to the jack and is grounded to the tone control, it's instead grounded to the back of the volume pot? Along with the wire that goes to the underside of the bridge?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331140944' post='1568393']
You do realise that leaving out the tone control pot and cap will result in getting a 'tone control set to maximum treble'?

If that's what you're after then that's fine, if not then you might want to add a little preset and capacitor and just tuck it inside the body cavity when you've found the tone you're after.
[/quote]

I do realise that the treble will be full if I remove the tone control from the circuit, that's why I'm looking to do it, I always have the treble up full on my P, I'm looking to do a bit of renovation to it as it needs sone TLC so I thought I'd take the opportunity to re-wire it at the same time.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1331161330' post='1568861']
I didn't see your edit until after I'd replied! So instead of having the wire that connects to the jack and is grounded to the tone control, it's instead grounded to the back of the volume pot? Along with the wire that goes to the underside of the bridge?
[/quote]
Yes & yes B)

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1331162171' post='1568877']
I do realise that the treble will be full if I remove the tone control from the circuit, that's why I'm looking to do it, I always have the treble up full on my P, I'm looking to do a bit of renovation to it as it needs sone TLC so I thought I'd take the opportunity to re-wire it at the same time.
[/quote]

Cool :)
Was just checking. ;)