Why become a member? ×

Stepping up - classical double bass

sparkypiano

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Been playing a "student" Stentor for a while and it is now limiting my playing. I want to step up to a good quality bass and bow. I've found a few shops and I am resigned to having to pay 3-5k (these things are pricy!) but I've not been to look yet. Going to the RNCM Strings Day on 17-18 March to see if anyone has any demo kit before travelling far and wide.

I will mostly be playing classical but want to do a bit of jazz on the side also - so need good arco and pizz, 3/4 size. Used preferred as I object to chucking away 20% on VAT.

I live in Cheshire. I've "found" (on the web) Thwaites (Watford), Tim Toft (Stone), Contrabass (Walton-on-Thames), and Turner Violins (Nottingham) but no visits yet.

Where's a good place to not get ripped off and get good service? Or are there good forums for used basses (not ebay!!)

I'd appreciate any pointers as a newby.

Sparky

[quote name='sparkypiano' timestamp='1331066432' post='1567211']
Thanks gents. Anyone come across Turner Violins in Nottingham (also in Birmingham)?
[/quote]

When I was looking a few years ago I was warned off Turners, they (Mr Turner) had a bad reputation.

I ignored the advice and took a trip there and bought a nice bass, however I had a bad experience with after sales and would never deal with them (him) again.

On the good side Kai Dase worked there at the time and did some good work on the bass.

A few years ago I visited Anthony Houska's Contrabass Shoppe when he was in London.

He's a nice guy and was very welcoming and helpful. He'd the biggest collection of basses I could have imagined.

There was a bass around £6500 which I quite liked and he said take it with you and see how you you get on with it.

I'd only just met him an hour or so before! The only stipulation was to have it insured.

I couldn't take him up on that offer because I'd travelled down on the train.

I enjoy looking at his website, one can learn a lot from browsing his pages

I'd love to visit his new place but driving 200 + miles is less appealing nowadays.

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1331077946' post='1567461']

When I was looking a few years ago I was warned off Turners, they (Mr Turner) had a bad reputation.

I ignored the advice and took a trip there and bought a nice bass, however I had a bad experience with after sales and would never deal with them (him) again.[/quote]

+1 exactly the same experience. I'm glad Kai has set up on his own as he was always great to deal with.

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1331080193' post='1567492']
A few years ago I visited Anthony Houska's Contrabass Shoppe when he was in London.

He's a nice guy and was very welcoming and helpful. He'd the biggest collection of basses I could have imagined.

There was a bass around £6500 which I quite liked and he said take it with you and see how you you get on with it.

I'd only just met him an hour or so before! The only stipulation was to have it insured.

I couldn't take him up on that offer because I'd travelled down on the train.

I enjoy looking at his website, one can learn a lot from browsing his pages

I'd love to visit his new place but driving 200 + miles is less appealing nowadays.
[/quote]

I agree and his basses are all excellently set up. However most are way to expensive.

Edited by geoffbassist

Yes, they are expensive compared to others. Tony is a very pleasant and patient sort of guy, though. I went to see him, spent most of the day, he made me lunch and I took a bass home on appro. Didn't keep it and have felt a bit guilty ever since but business is business, I suppose, and it could have been an expensive lunch.

Guest Jecklin

Buying second hand from any of the shops mentioned above and you'll still be paying VAT, one of the reasons the basses seem more expensve.

search here regularly:
[url="http://www.musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk/dbassales.html"]http://www.musicalin.../dbassales.html[/url]

A lot of good basses at players prices (not surprising as they are all private sales) pass through that page.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Jecklin