Why become a member? ×

Home Build Speaker Cabinets cut down costs

Jazz Bass 65

Hi in the 70s when our band were contemplating upgrading our PA and instrument cabs I managed to get in the good books with a UK speaker producer who agreed to supply me with louspeakers at trade price for cash in hand.
it was then that I realised just how much you paid for the wooden box that the speakers were loaded in. £499 GBP/750$USD for a very famous leading brand 4x10 loaded with 4 £9.50/15$USD.
I started building my own and then for other people including a young Def Leppard (Geoff Allan father of Rik Allan comes to most of our gigs), below is a recent example of a cab that I built to go with an Orange amp

In 1970s built own pa cabs (small band 2x12s lol) saved considerable money. Can be marginal these days, last year built BFM Omni 15, amounted to same ££ as s/h Barefaced Big One that I bought. Keep thinking about FearFul 1515/66 however when there is a Barefaced Dubster at £550 on forum at moment, DIY may not be cost effective. Just needs care and thought, sometime good value, sometimes great fun, sometimes does not add up. Like the Orange cab :) would have gone great with my Orange Hiwatt 200 many years ago.

I wouldn't advise anyone to build a one off speaker purely to save money. The cost of parts has gone up since so much manufacture moved overseas and 'cheap' manufactured units have fallen in price and improved in quality over the years. Good second hand stuff is usually cheaper and retains more value than a home build if you ever want to sell it on. However quality stuff can be built with a saving and you can make speakers to match your needs exactly if you know enough. The problem is that you need a lot of experience (and knowledge) to design anything which will be as good as a top end unit and the only way of gaining this is by doing it.

Having said that for little money you can build something quite respectable and you learn quickly. Speaker design is technical but it isn't rocket science. Computer modelling and Thiele/Small's work means you can design something competent without an engineering degree or advanced maths which means it is probably easier now than in the past.

I built one over Xmas. Did it as a way to save cash and as a fun project to busy me during the time off work. Admittedly, I failed woodwork at school, the challenge added to it.

I finished it in about a week and although it's not pro build quality, if that's what I wanted I would've bought one. However, all in all, I'm happy with the end product. It's loud, sounds great and only cost about £75 and that's including the driver at £45.

End product: ported 1x 15" rated to 1400w at 4 ohms

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1331194610' post='1569052']
I built one over Xmas. Did it as a way to save cash and as a fun project to busy me during the time off work. Admittedly, I failed woodwork at school, the challenge added to it.

I finished it in about a week and although it's not pro build quality, if that's what I wanted I would've bought one. However, all in all, I'm happy with the end product. It's loud, sounds great and only cost about £75 and that's including the driver at £45.

End product: ported 1x 15" rated to 1400w at 4 ohms
[/quote]

the heck 15" you put in there O.o?