Why become a member? ×

Fenderesque Fretless Fusion Jazz - RIP

Dom in Dorset

Really like it Dom :) The [s]maple[/s] Boxwood fingerboard is lovely and the black hardware and strings is a perfect match. Doesnt detract from the wood. Are those strings those black taped round wound thingy Fender ones?

Sooooo a few duff notes at the dusty end!! Any particular reason why?? ;)

A

Thanks everyone, yes the strings are Fender Black nylons, I love to tone and feel of them, slightly lower tension than most strings.
The strings aren't getting enough clearance from about 15th fret position, I'll sort it out over the next few weeks.
I won't be using it on this weekend's recordings, I won't have time to perfect it before then, I'll use the mark 2.

Update: i did all the work that I'd planned to do today quicker than I expected so I had an hour to kill before the school run.
I'd examined the neck carefully and noticed that the board was still very uneven. I took the neck off and sanded it down with 150 grit paper stuck to the underside of a plane. I spent about 20 minutes on it paying special attention to the heel end where i'd had the clearance issues.
I've just put the neck back on and the early signs are of a huge improvement, super low action, all notes nice and clear.
If this is foreplay, I'm a dead man.

It's not over ....
I had a day in the studio and because I've not had a chance to road test this bass I took the Mk2 as I know I can get exactly the sound I'm after from it.
I ran into an old problem - cheaper instruments often struggle to produce a good sound in the studio (even if they sound fine live) , no idea why but it's something that I've noticed over the years. the Mk2 has pickups that came from a Lindo bass that was about £100 new. the Mk3 has some similar looking pickups that cost me £7.50 new! I bought them just to see how they would do. I've not really had much chance to try the new bass plugged in yet but I think it deserves some nice pickups , probably Wizard 64's.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

• 4 weeks later...

My path is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
The woodworm is very much alive!!!!!
I've been a bit disappointed with the tone of this bass , could it be that I'm losing out because the body is more mold, holes, worms and worm poo than wood?
The solution- I'm stripping it down , treating for woodworm then soaking for a few days in cellulose wood hardener.

Thats a pain,

I miss-read your post

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1364123491' post='2022033']
I'm stripping down , treating for woodworm then soaking for a few days in cellulose wood hardener.
[/quote]

Thought you were stripping down and treating yourself for woodworm and soaking in wood hardener