Why become a member? ×

Practice rooms - Bad experience!

LemonCello

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1330955006' post='1565249']
Threatening places you still want to use isn't the way.
[/quote]

+1

You'll gain far more by rising above the situation than you would by 'milking it' in the short term.

My experience with studios is that, once you're on the 'good guy' list, they'll move heaven and earth to accomodate you.

To put it really bluntly, I'd much rather have the long term benefits of someone feeling guilty about the situation than the short term benefit of having £20 knocked off my studio bill.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1330955006' post='1565249']
Threatening places you still want to use isn't the way.
[/quote]

Just for clarity, I haven't threatened anyone/any place. We've decided to go back collectively as we like the place. I'm sure the guy in question will do the honorable thing and apologise face to face and well all get back to making music!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330964518' post='1565450']
+1

You'll gain far more by rising above the situation than you would by 'milking it' in the short term.

My experience with studios is that, once you're on the 'good guy' list, they'll move heaven and earth to accomodate you.

To put it really bluntly, I'd much rather have the long term benefits of someone feeling guilty about the situation than the short term benefit of having £20 knocked off my studio bill.
[/quote]

+1. Studio I used to use in Brum 12 years ago, busy studio. Called in to book a room to do auditions and he remembered me and the band. it must be a nightmare running the places - you need the trade so you can't cherry pick your clients. But that means everytime you take the chance of expensive equipment going missing. He could have handled it better though.

I get that you'd be upset at the accusation, and obviously on a forum we can't tell tone of voice etc. However I have an office in a rehearsal rooms and unfortunately bands do 'wander off' with equipment on a very regular basis (miss are a particular favourite), I can think of one occasion on which a set of decent Mapex drum stands had mysteriously turned into cheap Stagg ones. When the studio can they do try to be vigilant and often it involves going through diaries and working out who was in when.

You can rest assured that the studio hate making the call just as much as you hate receiving it.

Last week we had a situation where a band took home an expensive CDJ deck. They were called and they'd said it was an accident - I'm not sure how it could've been but still it's been returned and is all water under the bridge.

It's sad that these things happen, and in the majority of cases it's the minority causing the aggro.

I'm glad it all worked out ok for you in the end, if it were me I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, then if anything similar happens again start thinking of using somewhere else.

We just used to make sure the room was tidy before the band arrived and booked out any equipment or peripherals to that band (it was signed for).
At the end of the session we'd be there to collect up the gear listed on the sheet, make sure the room was still in a good state of repair and collect the money.

We ran a strict 'closed door policy' - you couldn't just walk in and out as you pleased.[list]
[*]Bands could leave their kit laying about in their rehearsal studio while they popped out for a break (we had a little enclosed courtyard) and know it would still be there when they got back.
[*]The rooms were always clean, tidy, non smoking and well equipped - significantly better than other venues and at a much cheaper hourly rate.
[*]We had a selection of strings, sticks, leads and straps - the usual bits and pieces that get lost, forgotten or broken.
[/list]

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330964518' post='1565450']
To put it really bluntly, I'd much rather have the long term benefits of someone feeling guilty about the situation than the short term benefit.
[/quote]

So what you're saying is you'd rather have a "fuddy" than a one night stand? :lol:

Edited by charic