Why become a member? ×

A dumb tech question (ME-70 update)?

Pinball

Hi. I have waht may be a dumb question. I just got my first base and am playing it into my PC through an effects pedal. I know that lead guitar amps/cabs can't cope with a bass but it won't harm non amped effects pedals e.g. boss ME70 or Line 6 JM4 looper will it?

I can't see anything in the instructions that suggest its a problem

Advice much appreciated!

Edited by Pinball

I wouldn't imagine so, most FX units have filter circuitry inside them to 'voice' the unit for a specific instrument, so what'll probably happen is that your low end (eg 100Hz) will magically disappear once the internal filter gets rid of it, leaving a very mid-heavy bass sound.

Go for it, you could always use the on-board EQ to roll some of the bass off to be on the safe side.

Won't do your fx any damage with a bass, although as said above they may not sound great - some guitar effects sound great with bass though, don't be afraid to experiment!

The problem with bass through guitar amps is more to do with the speakers and the amount of power needed to produce the low end. Most guitar amps will handle bass well enough at lower volumes but struggle when pushed harder - there are exceptions though!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1330818706' post='1563520']
Won't do your fx any damage with a bass, although as said above they may not sound great - some guitar effects sound great with bass though, don't be afraid to experiment!
The problem with bass through guitar amps is more to do with the speakers and the amount of power needed to produce the low end. Most guitar amps will handle bass well enough at lower volumes but struggle when pushed harder - there are exceptions though!
[/quote]
I have been playing with the Bass and recording on Garageband. It seems to record OK, the sound is good and clear but seems to have lost some of the low down grit. I know I have a cheapish bass but it sounds a lot better in real life than on the recording. I'm not too unhappy though and maybe need to mess with my pedals a bit.

Other news is that I pulled the trigger on a Peavey Bandit/80w combo on ebay. Reviews suggested that it has the really good sounds that I want for my lead and is robust enough to handle a bass-there was a post about it elsewhere on here. That should do me for now I think. £80 so I hope it works OK!!
Thanks

Edited by Pinball

Glad to hear its working out!

Just had a quick look at a pic of the ME70, it has a master EQ section so you can always up the bass a bit on there to compensate for anything you feel is missing. I take it you're recording from the "Rec Out/Phones" connection? Have you tried using the different pre-amp models to see which gives the best results? I would imagine the "Clean" setting or bypassing the preamp modelling altogether would give the best results for bass tone - I would probably try to get the cleanest possible signal into Garageband and then use some of the plugins to perfect the bass tone.

Looking forward to hearing it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just an update on the boss ME-70 guitar effects with Bass. I was messing around with it again last night and stumbled across some relay nice delay/chorus/echo effects. I also set up several combinations of effects and didn't notice any drop off in sound on low notes. It was easy to set up like a series of stomp boxes and I could switch from straight through to various effects combinations.
I don't use effects that often so being able to use this is very useful, I like it and don't feel the need to rush out and buy anything specifically for bass.
If I find any specific problems I'll update.