Why become a member? ×

Frustration - Bass Tabs that aren't quite right!

paul_c2

Thanks for the replies so far. Trust me, I can use my ears - I've done several transcriptions in the past, where no tab existed, or where other music was available but not the bass line.

I guess it boils down to 'why' you want to play a particular piece of music. For example, if you were in a covers band, then you only need the broad song structure and typical chord progressions, and any distinctive bass lines that everyone expects to hear (imagine if you covered "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac and had altered the bass line too much!) You don't need an exact replica of the bass line because you'd aim to put your personal 'stamp' on the song, unless you really did want to copy someone else's song like an audio replica.

I have a lousy memory but good music reading skills, and I just wanted to play the song. If there were a proper musical notation version out there, I'd happily read it and enjoy it, without necessarily learning how to play a song from memory in my head. Bass tabs are annoying enough (vastly prefer proper notation) but when they're not even right......then their value really is moot.

Using your ears is the best way to learn a song, you then really get to know what's going on harmonic wise elsewhere in the tune as well as the Bass line.
You can get right inside the song & structure.
However in a show rehearsal,Orchestral, pit or studio situation no one is going to hang around while you have your ears around a CD/Mp3 player
trying to learn a whole bunch of arrangements quickly.
A sheet/sheets of paper in front of you will save your job.

For some [many] Musicians it's ideal to do both,
as far as Tab goes, i should imagine the time it takes to track down a good one then decipher it,
then moan about and amend the wrong notes, it would be quicker just to learn it by ear. :lol:

Garry

Edited by lowdown