Why become a member? ×

alternative to Eden 10 inch speakers

jhk

[i][size=5]i`ve had a look round the forums and have not found anything ...............so at the risk of annoying anyone who has posted/answered this..................... in the XLT series of Eden cabs that have 10 inch speakers ,is there an equivalent or better performing speaker to eden`s own?[/size][/i]
[i][size=5]The question also includes availability aspects.....................[/size][/i]
[i][size=5]also.......................[/size][/i]
[i][size=5]pricewise and brandwise ,is there point not to go below ,[i][size=5]as quality/reliability becomes compromised?[/size][/i][/size][/i]

[i][size=5]has anyone here actually changed theirs,eg metro combo -.............2 X 10 XLT............-4 X 10 XLT............... and found an improvement?[/size][/i]

[i][size=5]cheers.....................[/size][/i]

[i][size=4]Thanks for reply.................... as i understand it Eden are one of the few companies that have their own speakers made ,to their own spec...................that`s not to say that someone like eminence would possibly be the manufacturer but as not as part of their own publicised range[/size][/i]

I changed the speakers in an Eden cab to these Eminence Basslites:

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-basslite-s2010-8ohm-10-neo-150watt-bass-guitar-speaker-p-861.html

Great sounding speakers, more warm rock tones than modern hi-fi. More Ampeggy would be a good way to describe them.

[quote name='jhk' timestamp='1330371102' post='1556422']
[i][size=4]Thanks for reply.................... as i understand it Eden are one of the few companies that have their own speakers made ,to their own spec...................that`s not to say that someone like eminence would possibly be the manufacturer but as not as part of their own publicised range[/size][/i]
[/quote]

Most companies have their own speakers made to their own spec for bass. Usually the spec is like a standard one, except cheaper.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1330373474' post='1556466']
Most companies have their own speakers made to their own spec for bass. Usually the spec is like a standard one, except cheaper.
[/quote]

do you know what the equvalent speaker for an eden ec 1060xl 10 inch is?................. is it an eminence with a disguise on?

I did it with an SWR Goliath jnr lll for Eminence 2510 NEO's. This is quite common and you can find these reviews on the web

I didn't like the swap and only went for it as a repair/replacement as I couldn't get the original's replaced.
Only improvement was the weight... but IMO, the cab wasn't the better for it at all.
Sold them..but have spoken to quite few others who liked their same swap.....??????

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1330375340' post='1556510']
I did it with an SWR Goliath jnr lll for Eminence 2510 NEO's. This is quite common and you can find these reviews on the web

I didn't like the swap and only went for it as a repair/replacement as I couldn't get the original's replaced.
Only improvement was the weight... but IMO, the cab wasn't the better for it at all.
Sold them..but have spoken to quite few others who liked their same swap.....??????
[/quote]
thanks for that......................... it`s handy getting this feedback so I can make an informed decision...................................

I mention it as the SWR and Eden cabs are a step up from most cabs and they are tight and focused, imo.
I always thought Eden and SWR were comparable and you went for one or the other as you preferred the mid bias
on them.

Although the 2510 is quite middy as a speaker, I never thought the SWR conversion worked out that well
and didn't put out the bass as well as the originals. I think you might get a few people argue that the newer NEO
Eminence outclass the the PAS SWR and Eden equivalent, if only through newer technology, but I recall being distinctly
disappointed in the result and not worth it. As I say, I was forced into it through needing to repair/replaced the chassis
and people told me it was a very good swap solution. I didn't think so.

Good match up, on paper, maybe... not so much by my experience. As far as I am concerned basic specs can only indicate so much
and it isn't until you have tried it, you get a proper perspective. My ears told me it didn't work.
I could never A/B them..which you can if you retain the working Eden speakers, and you'll also have a pair to sell on.

• 1 month later...

Hi jhk,
The best place to start is getting a re-cone peice. Wembley Loudspeakers are the chaps and Paul McCallum has been in the business about 40 years so he has seen everything. He re-coned an Eden badged 15" speaker for me 18 months ago. It was a PAS and he encouraged me to get it re-coned rather than buy a new Eminence or similar. I remember he said 'they don't make them like this any more....'. It is a heavy driver but sounds fantastic.
Give Paul a call on 0208-743-4567 or email [email protected], I'm sure he will be able to help.
BTW I have tried plenty of 'Neo' speakers over the past few years, sadly they don't sound quite the same as a conventional magnet, lighter in weight, but also in sound.....
All the best,
Phil.

Hi jhk,
Just to confirm that the Eden speakers are made by Eminence now. They make a lot of speakers for many manufacturers under a thing called OEM, which stands for 'original equipment manufacturer'. A bit of a mouthful hence the acronym! They manufacture the stuff to Eden's spec and then they are badged Eden. This is no secret check this out here;http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/why/whytext.htm
Loads of items worldwide are made OEM for computers, cars, all sorts of stuff.
I hope this is a help.
Phil.