Why become a member? ×

Getting back into it

paul_c2

I've played bass guitar for about 25 years, I started at about 15 and I'm pretty old now....but I kinda didn't play if for a long time. I've just found renewed interest in it and want to get back into playing, just for fun really. I am mostly self-taught although I did have a few lessons in my early days, although I never really found much benefit from these. So I tended to just tootle around and not follow a strict routine.

Are there any tips for getting together a proper practise schedule/exercises/routines again? Scales? A bit of sight reading each day (I have a fair amount of written music, and it being 20+ years, I can't remember it so it counts as sight reading!) Or perhaps should I look at the Rockschool or Trinity College syllabuses, and if so how on earth do I decide which grade to start on?

Might be a good idea to spend at least an hour or two every day. I try to spend about 30 mins on scales, 30 mins on arpeggios, and about 45 mins on reading. If I've got to learn new songs for the band, that'll take at least another hour.

If you can afford a good bass tutor, go for it as they will be able to point you in the right direction where the Rockschool Grades are concerned.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1330100035' post='1552815']
Might be a good idea to spend at least an hour or two every day. I try to spend about 30 mins on scales, 30 mins on arpeggios, and about 45 mins on reading. If I've got to learn new songs for the band, that'll take at least another hour.

If you can afford a good bass tutor, go for it as they will be able to point you in the right direction where the Rockschool Grades are concerned.
[/quote]

+1 to all.