Why become a member? ×

Image sizes and why just thumbnails?

dave_bass5

Im sure this has been covered somewhere but i though ti would ask again as i cant find any reference to it.

Ive uploaded a few images in various posts but they all show up as thumbnails. In the past they would be resized down a bit but still big enough to view without having to click on them.

Here's an example of what im getting now
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167216-february-2012-photo-comp/page__view__findpost__p__1552426"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167216-february-2012-photo-comp/page__view__findpost__p__1552426[/url]

I would normally just link from a image hosting site but sometimes, as in this case, i dont want someone else's image in my gallery.

Thanks and sorry for wasting anyone's time if this is the norm.

Dave, what I do with my images on Flickr is, I click on it until it displays on its own and then right-click on it to bring up the menu with the choice of sizes (Medium 500, Medium 640 and Large on my FF). In that menu, I left-click on the size I want, wait for the photo to display, then right-click to "Copy image location" and paste the url in the Image box in this site's reply.

Trying it now:

Click on photo on Flicker's list of thumbnails
Photo appears larger but with magnifying glass symbol in place of the cursor. Click on photo.
Photo appears again as part of (static) slideshow
Right-click on photo, choose Medium 640 from menu
Right-click on photo that appears, to bring up another menu, choose Copy Image Location
Click on Image icon at top of this reply box
Paste
OK

Result:

Edited by bluejay

Thanks for the reply. As you can see from our photocomp thats excalty what im already doing.
The reason i posted this was because i dont want your image on my gallery (no offence, im sure you know what i mean), i just wanted it post it directly here, and i know in the past this has worked perfectly.

Actually, i use the Share BBcode and just paste this in, as this then also puts the title and a link to the flickr image's page as well. Im fact this is a better way of doing it as the rules state we should either post the Exif or have it available, posting the BBcode makes it easier to people to see the Exif if needed (not that any of us cheat of course).

Images hosted on Basschat have always looked like that to me - even before the forum upgrade.

In the past they would open up in a new window so you could still read the thread while viewing them, but that's a completely different forum bug to do with how the current version handles internal and external links.

Dave, I think these copy and paste urls etc. are a bit dodgy, because on occasion I've done the same as you and only managed to get a link to the photo, and people needed to click on it to see the image, and then had access to my other public images on Flickr's slideshow.

Not sure if it's each website's codes that clash, or what.

Feel free to delete my image from your collection, of course!

Edited by bluejay

Im pretty sure the past they would be resized to about 81%, or so they would fit in a certain area. They would have a black bar along the top that you could click and this would thne open the full size image up in a new window, unless this was just from linked images and my mind has become scrambled.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330088948' post='1552516']
Images hosted on Basschat have always looked like that to me - even before the forum upgrade.
[/quote]

But my photo above looks OK, so the trouble has probably got to do with the individual photo sharing site each of us uses, as well as how this site handles the external link codes.

Sigh.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330089139' post='1552522']
Dave, I think these copy and paste urls etc. are a bit dodgy, because on occasion I've done the same as you and only managed to get a link to the photo, and people needed to click on it to see the image, and then had access to my other public images on Flickr's slideshow.

[/quote]

I cant say ive ever had this trouble, although i know its better now than it was a few years ago on Flickr. In the past you would use the HTML code option, and need to delete a lot of the code, only leaving the relevant image location but these days you just copy the whole BBCode and it works perfectly IME. You can even delete the link and title underneath it.

I haven't uploaded your image to Flickr, ill just leave it as a thumbnail on BC. Its there if anyone wants ot see it but not standing out and confusing people.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330089320' post='1552530']
But my photo above looks OK, so the trouble has probably got to do with the individual photo sharing site each of us uses, as well as how this site handles the external link codes.

Sigh.
[/quote]

I think your missing the point. This thread is only about posting an image on here without using any web hosting, other than Bass chat.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1330089234' post='1552524']
Im pretty sure the past they would be resized to about 81%, or so they would fit in a certain area. They would have a black bar along the top that you could click and this would thne open the full size image up in a new window, unless this was just from linked images and my mind has become scrambled.
[/quote]

For me if they were hosted as Basschat attachments they always appeared as thumbnails within the body of the post. The only difference being that before they had the black bar above them and clicking on them would open a new window.

Images hosted on an external image sharing site like Photobucket would appear as large as possible within the width of the body of the thread and also displayed a black bar on the top if it was possible to view them at a bigger size.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330089320' post='1552530']

Sigh.
[/quote]

That's because your image is on an external hosting site and placed in the post using the IMG tag.

The OP's image is placed in the thread using the attachments feature of the forum and is hosted on Basschat.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330089139' post='1552522']

[/quote]
Hah!

Sorry, but you've just reminded me of Bananagate!

A moderator of the NME forums posted up an innocuous picture on the NME forums, but had left other pictures of himself and his girlfriend accessible to the public, Along with the aforementioned banana.

Much hilarity ensued,

:lol: