Why become a member? ×

3 amazing musicians.

M-N-Y

This clip features two of my all time favourite musicians, the incredible bassist Michel Alibo and the wonderful drummer Karim Ziad. Michel never ceases to amaze me; he is a true bass playing colossus and deserves so much more exposure. To those of you who haven't heard of him check out anything you can of the French band Sixun they are unbelievably good.

Karim Ziad came to prominence as the drummer for Zawinul Syndicate. A superbly gifted player who glides through odd time material as though it's second nature (which it probably is), he hails from Algeria and he is more often heard with French and North African musicians thesedays. There are some great clips of his music on the net which I encourage you all to check out. The approach of the players is so fresh and makes a change from a lot of the more typical western fusion music that I manage to come across.

Apologies, don't know much about the pianist.

Enjoy the clip. By the way, check out the bass players backline.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r741Z-weDhY&feature=related[/media]

Edited by M-N-Y

Hi Gareth,

Glad you enjoyed the music. Any of the Sixun stuff is a good place to start. My own favourite CD's from the band are Nouvelle Vague, Nomad's Land and Palabre. The 20 years of Sixun live Cd is also very good. I do believe you can get a best of which would also be excellent. If you are a little more adventurous you can try Karim Ziad's Ifriyka or anything by Sakesho featuring Andy Narell on steel pans (awesome!!!).

Cheers,

Mark.

Yeah nice - Michel Alibo cropped up in another cool video I watched the other day with him in amazing pianist Meddy Gerville's band - this track is great, there are some mad rhythmic bits later - please note the lack of music on stage, i.e. they rehearsed this stuff until they could play it without thinking - which is something more jazz bands need to do! Anyway this is cool modern jazz with some nice energy and attitude:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGqVlXaqmPE[/media]

Hope you enjoy - EDIT - Alibo is a GREAT player - so's the drummer!

M

Agree with Mike on the importance of rehearsals for jazz musicians. A culture seems to have developed in the UK where noone who plays jazz ever rehearses and, as a result, most gigs, particularly in the provinces, are the same old same old. I had one rehearsal on Wednesday and we are doing 11 originals on Sunday that have never been played live before anywhere. Imagine what we could achieve with regular rehearsal time. On the occasions when I do rehearse with jazz bands, they alway sound SOOOO much better. These top guys (sorry, can't watch the clips in work although I do know Sixun) rehearse their arses off and it sounds like it. 'Improvisation' does not mean 'don't bother learning the material and make it all up as you go along'.

[quote name='M-N-Y' timestamp='1330077218' post='1552247']

Enjoy the clip. By the way, check out the bass players backline.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r741Z-weDhY&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Really enjoyed this and the others attached later in thread. Another new band for me to look into.
Not sure if I'm missing something with the backline. Is it simply a Marshall combo or is that a row of reflex cabs at the bottom.

Thanks for posting. Takes me back to my Bruford / Berlin days - greatff.

Dave.

I used a gtr amp at a rehearsal many moons ago and loved it. I think it was a Marshall but not sure of model. Gave a very nice mid punch. Couldn't cope with a live gig though.
Always wondered about bi-amping it with a proper bass amp.
I've heard of several bassists doing that.
Bob Daisley did it with some of the Rainbow studio albums i believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave