Why become a member? ×

Not sure the Markbass LMIII is for me.

hamfist

If I had listened to what my ears were telling me, and not getting caught up in the "hype" I wouldn't have got my Streamliner. None of the clips really impressed me, but I figured this was just because of the way they were recorded and how I was watching them. Truth was most were pretty accurate :-(
I did like it but not as much as I hoped and it seemed that I couldn't always get a good tone out of it, depending on the venue, whereas I rarely had that problem with my MB heads.

The new Ashdown heads are getting some good reviews but there are also a couple of owners that are going from ABM to these and have said they seem to be missing something.

I did feel that my SA450 was pretty close to my ABM, but the Streamliner is quite a bit different to the MB tone.

I use an ABM500 and have a/bd it at rehearsal with both my mate's Markbass LMK and my old Epifani head, which I had high hopes for. My ABM (IMO) blew them both into the dust for what I wanted, which was a big, aggressive rock tone. However it also beat them at just about everything else too (again IMO), although I'll admit it was a bit noisier. It just sounded far more "alive" to my ears. I'm currently looking at a lighter alternative that compares. We'll see.

FWIW I've only tried a Genz once (at a Bass Day) but thought it sounded just like all the clips, i.e. horrible IMO.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Flex' timestamp='1330123181' post='1553224']
I have recently aquired a vba400 + vbc412 and it blows away anthing else I have had.... Not a light rig but is totally manageable. The sound even blew our drummer away.. That says something... Can't recommend it anough, smooth or full on drive at all volumes and great value 2nd hand if you can find one. Nothing like the pure valve setup to cut through and has mid frequency selector too. If you get the chance to try one... Go for it and see what I mean
[/quote]

I love the VBC412 cabs. IMHO the best single cab out there. I used to run a pair with 2 heads.

Then I had kids and the wife said the spare room was for them and they couldn't live under the stairs. And my rig wouldn't fit under the stairs. So it went. :(