Why become a member? ×

Amp Blown?

Jayben

Ok, I gotta problem. at practice the other week my Behringer BXL3000A 1X15 combo blew up. I took it into the shop and they gave it back to me, claiming nothing could be done for it. Further conversation revealed that the power amp and speaker itself is knackered, however the PRE-amp is fine.

First of all, what does this mean in laymans terms?

Secondly, would it be possible to remove the cab unit from the combo, then buy an appropriate cab, and use it as a half-stack? I know little about impedance and ohms and all the rest of it, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing.

Basically it means the only bit that works on it, is the input and tone controls. The bit that amplifies it, and the bit that reproduces that (the speaker) is buggered.

As for the second half of your post, I personally don't think it would be worth it due to cost and effort, and it being a Behringer so probably isn't that well made on the whole. Just my opinion though!

lots of things to consider..

with no power amp...on what basis do they say the speaker is blown..??
If just the out[put stage of the amp...you may find a tech to repair that for cheap money but if you need a new speaker...then you are probaly into the relms of £100 or so...

I'd get a second opinion...or write it off and throw it all away.

For £250 you should be able to find a combo capable of running 300watts with an ext cab... and probably 180w or so as a combo on its own.
I've seen a TE and Ashdown at that rating at my local music shop.

Just to second JTUK,, It's possible the amp and speaker are both blown but unlikely. The problem is, and I know nothing about this particular amp, that separating amp and speaker for testing might need breaking into the case and an hours labour, only to tell you its bust and can I have £30 please. With a low value combo they probably didn't think it was worth spending your money on it.

You could either try another tech or go back and ask them if they tested amp and speaker separately and if they didn't then how much would it cost. Then you can decide if it is worth the risk.

Recieved wisdom is that Behringers are hard to source parts for though I've no direct experience.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1329860810' post='1548819']
Speaker could have died, shorted and taken out the power section.
[/quote]
That's right too, but it is more usual nowadays for speakers to go open and not short circuit and the protection circuitry should protect the amp. It may well be that a speaker short will have blown an internal fuse. It is pretty hard to say without the amp in front of me