Why become a member? ×

I got dem learnin' blues

musophilr

Audition Thursday. I can play all the stuff I've been told to prepare, and have learnt it except the song I got out of a book. Still can't play it without the dots in front of me. AARRGGHHHH!

Once upon a time with a different band they criticised me for taking sheet music on stage. I said "I can play it right with the dots or get it wrong without them, which would you prefer?" Eventually they sacked me, allegedly for different reasons but my sheet music must have had something to do with it. Don't want the same to happen again.

Why is some music so hard to memorise?

Your method "kind of" works, sir. I just played [i]Wonderful Land[/i] 3 times without looking at the dots. :)

FWIW I looked at it this way:

The outro = the into (all bar one note)
In between are 3 sections: Section 2 = section 3 (it includes the bum titty bum bum titty bum bum bum bit). Section 1 begins like sections 2 & 3 but there's some other crap before you get to section 2 involving a C maj arpeggio interspersed with root & fifth on E, root & fifth on F ...

Once you've got the structure, you've got some hooks to hang little reminders on.

OK, celebratory coffee is now consumed, let's go back & see if I can still do it ;)

It's easy to rely on the music,and to be honest I don't think it's a problem if you have charts on stage. However,I find
that if I want to move away from the charts I just go 'bareback' and don't bother setting my stand up or getting the
charts out. That way you've got no choice but to just play it and get it right.

I find if I can play it without a bass and without the music then I've learnt it.

That probably sounds ridiculous but I genuinely try to learn sometimes without a bass in my hands. I know where the frets are in relation to my body so I can still "play" along as it were.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329839358' post='1548267']
I find if I can play it without a bass and without the music then I've learnt it.

That probably sounds ridiculous but I genuinely try to learn sometimes without a bass in my hands. I know where the frets are in relation to my body so I can still "play" along as it were.
[/quote]

No it's not ridiculous when you've heard of concert pianists who "practice" on the train sitting at a table which acts as a "dummy keyboard". I'm sure it would also guarantee you get all 4 seats to yourself ;)

Going over the manoevres in your minds eye while "playing back" the music in your memory was something Alan Limbrick recommended at the Guitar Institute a long time ago.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1329845939' post='1548438']
No it's not ridiculous when you've heard of concert pianists who "practice" on the train sitting at a table which acts as a "dummy keyboard". I'm sure it would also guarantee you get all 4 seats to yourself ;)
[/quote]

I also do that :(

you could also play through hearing the changes.

If you can hear intervals and know the song in your head... you just go with them ..you don't need to have
your hands on the frets previously.. This is a classic busking/dep trick.
You know the song and where it goes... someone will give you the key and since you can hear the intervals you can play it in any key....
Some people..notably gtrs..just play it by shape...but that is mostly because they don't know what the notes are anyway

If you need to throw away the crutch tho..throw it away.