Why become a member? ×

Metronome / apps to help me work some pattern

TheBear

Hi Guys,

I'm currently learning (among other) "Perfectly lonely" trying to stick as much as possible to the Pino's Line.

Now, it begins easy, but soon there are loads of 16th in the middle of 8th. Quiet difficult for me to tackle (I haven't studied music, and I am therefore not trained to read rythm). So I'm looking for any software/iphone apps that could allow to divide the 4 time of the bar into 16th, and tap the moment when I have to play the notes and eventually get to read the rythm :)

I'm currently having to tackle 2 problem: read the rythms, and make my fingers doing what i want, a little too muc, s i need some help.

thanks

Chris

I'd try something like Audacity so you can slow the track down and loop the section that's tricky for you. Once it's slowed down, sing the part repeatedly then once you're comfortable with that, then try tapping the part. Once that's good, then try playing it on the bass even slower than what you've just been tapping. Also helps to play the easier parts slower too as it gives you a good frame of reference of how the tricky part should sound in sequence.

another way to tackle a problem like that would be to write in the section to a midi editor (sibelius, guitar pro, tuxguitar(freeware)), and then slow down the tempo, and loop the section very easily. Most software like that comes with a metronome too. If you don't like reading tab then you could write in the pattern as a rhythm track instead of the bassline. :)

Do you know how to count subdivisions?

If you are counting on the beat-1,2,3,4...you can then break it down to quavers(8th notes) by counting
1&,2&,3&,4&. If you are tapping your foot to the beat,it should hit the floor on the beat and be in the air
on the & (the off beat)
You can then take that further by breaking it down into semiquavers(16th notes) by
counting 1e&a,2e&a,3e&a,4e&a.

If you are using a metronome,set it at a steady tempo (something like 60-70 bpm) and try playing
on the beat while counting out loud and then start to break it down to quavers then semiquavers.
Make sure you are saying the subdivisions while you are playing and try to be as accurate as
possible. Once you can do this comfortably,it makes it easier to play different combinations of
quavers and semiquavers...for example,if the pattern is something like quaver,semiquaver,semiquaver,
(disco style) you can count it as 1(e)&a,2(e)&a etc. and not play on the (e).

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330263077' post='1554765']

If you are counting on the beat-1,2,3,4...you can then break it down to quavers(8th notes) by counting
1&,2&,3&,4&. If you are tapping your foot to the beat,it should hit the floor on the beat and be in the air
on the & (the off beat)
You can then take that further by breaking it down into semiquavers(16th notes) by

If you are using a metronome,set it at a steady tempo (something like 60-70 bpm) and try playing
on the beat while counting out loud and then start to break it down to quavers then semiquavers.
Make sure you are saying the subdivisions while you are playing and try to be as accurate as
possible. Once you can do this comfortably,it makes it easier to play different combinations of
quavers and semiquavers...for example,if the pattern is something like quaver,semiquaver,semiquaver,
[/quote]

This is how I've been taught. It's not easy at first and can seem daunting when like me you have no knowledge of theory, but stick with it and it will pay off. The metronome is your friend for this.

[quote name='edster' timestamp='1330880038' post='1564257']
This is how I've been taught. It's not easy at first and can seem daunting when like me you have no knowledge of theory, but stick with it and it will pay off. The metronome is your friend for this.
[/quote]
The thing with exercises like these,is that you don't need a metronome. You can count while tapping your
foot not in strict tempo,but by varying the time so that you are comfortable with the count and breaking down
the rhythms. When you start to recognise certain rhythms you can play them in time with a metronome,but
initially it may be beneficial to not use one so you can get used to counting and playing-you'll still be in time,but
it'll be flexible.
For what it's worth,I pretty much never use a metronome...ever.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330263077' post='1554765']

on the & (the off beat)

[/quote]

Hi,

thanks for you note (and sorry for the delay, the damn "follow this topic" does not work). I indeed used this trick (. well in Dutch), but I'm struggling keeping it steady.
I got very fast mixed (and having a tendency to adjust the foot to my counting). I'm fighting with Perfectly lonely, and if I can be on tempo on the black, white, 1/8, the 16th between two 8th is killing me.

I actually found my way with Cubase & the Midi Editor :) Not steady yet, but I'm moving toward the right direction
I'm still struggling planning my practice... and stick to the plans :)

thanks
Chris