Why become a member? ×

Guy finds 62/63 Shell Pink Jazz Bass..it's all going off on Talkbass

umcoo

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331490811' post='1573685']
I found a bag of cvnts once.
[/quote]

And here I thought I was lucky finding a 62 J Bass, Thanks for taking my glory right out from under me.

I am truly envious of the man that finds an entire bag of "CVNTS" ,,,,,Wanna trade???

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1331566634' post='1574930']
Where did this thread go ?
Better put where is it going ?

How did we get here ?

:facepalm:
[/quote]

Possibly my fault, you have my apologies :D

So did we ascertain what you are going to do with this lovely bass?

You could always sell it to someone this side of the fetid pool of division, it would be very much appreciated here I am sure. We have LOTS of bassists who think an old Fender will make them sound whole, and play better ;)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331569061' post='1574981']
Possibly my fault, you have my apologies :D

So did we ascertain what you are going to do with this lovely bass?

You could always sell it to someone this side of the fetid pool of division, it would be very much appreciated here I am sure. We have LOTS of bassists who think an old Fender will make them sound whole, and play better ;)
[/quote]

The only thing I do know, is that as of now I could not imagine seeing it go anywhere, I absolutely love the bass, and everything about it.
The story that goes along with it and it just gets even better, It's far from just some old run of the mill bass.

I've played guitar for the past few years and never really thought about playing bass before, this experience has definitely changed that and I am dying to learn to play bass. Problem is I have yet to get myself an amp and I really am not to big on the idea of learning on a 50 year old Bass who's paint is barely attached in certain areas.
The last thing I want is for this thing to lose even the slightest flake of paint, just so I can learn to play bass.
I'd much rather wait and just get a more modern J bass and learn on that. I'll play this one when I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Definitely not looking to sell it though. Not anytime soon.

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1331578030' post='1575232']
The only thing I do know, is that as of now I could not imagine seeing it go anywhere, I absolutely love the bass, and everything about it.
The story that goes along with it and it just gets even better, It's far from just some old run of the mill bass.

I've played guitar for the past few years and never really thought about playing bass before, this experience has definitely changed that and I am dying to learn to play bass. Problem is I have yet to get myself an amp and I really am not to big on the idea of learning on a 50 year old Bass who's paint is barely attached in certain areas.
The last thing I want is for this thing to lose even the slightest flake of paint, just so I can learn to play bass.
I'd much rather wait and just get a more modern J bass and learn on that. I'll play this one when I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Definitely not looking to sell it though. Not anytime soon.
[/quote]

Unless you are selling it, the only value it has is in being played. Play the shiz out of it, it has been waiting for that to happen for a long time.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1331581506' post='1575343']
Unless you are selling it, the only value it has is in being played. Play the shiz out of it, it has been waiting for that to happen for a long time.
[/quote]

I definitely plan to play the "Shiz" out of it, But NOT until I know how to play at least a little.

I do disagree though, I personally put way more value into the history of it. I think it is an amazing piece and has one hell of a story to go with it. One of the family members allowed me to put together a huge list of questions for them to run by the original owner and I did, I asked literally EVERYTHING I could think of and am now waiting to hear back about what he had to say.
I am dying from anticipation right now. Who knows what off the wall stories he will have from his days of playing venues with The Crickets, Elvis and Lord only knows who else.

Okay so I lied, I've been playing it for the better part of two hours and am having a ton of trouble pulling myself away to go to bed here.

Unfortunately I'm getting a half a$$ effect playing quietly through an old Peavey Guitar amp I had stuffed away. Still would rather not blow the speaker out of it though my son still may like to use it for his electric. Desperately need to go get a bass amp so I can hear what she is really capable of doing. That will be my mission this week, Get an amp and have someone set this bass up so the action isn't so high. [sup] [/sup]

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1331614027' post='1575833']
Okay so I lied, I've been playing it for the better part of two hours and am having a ton of trouble pulling myself away to go to bed here.

Unfortunately I'm getting a half a$$ effect playing quietly through an old Peavey Guitar amp I had stuffed away. Still would rather not blow the speaker out of it though my son still may like to use it for his electric. Desperately need to go get a bass amp so I can hear what she is really capable of doing. That will be my mission this week, Get an amp and have someone set this bass up so the action isn't so high. [sup] [/sup]
[/quote]

Good for you.

Hi all nubbie here I was googling Piper Perabo & found this thread dealing w/ a old Jazz Bass & thought “this is the place for me!” sorry to be honest I’ve been here before & was going to join but it was the TB posting onslot about this old Jazz that decided it for me I can’t get over some of the reactions the poster has received sounds like it will get sorted out & maybe things will calm down,
Cheers

BTW over at TB I go by the handle 4005

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1331581506' post='1575343']

[/quote]

Preferably whilst riffing along to some Eyehategod. Get it on YouTube and TB will be back to its usual self in trying to have you lynched.

Best plan of the day, I'd say :)

[quote name='convair' timestamp='1331871093' post='1580203']
Hi all nubbie here I was googling Piper Perabo & found this thread dealing w/ a old Jazz Bass & thought “this is the place for me!” sorry to be honest I’ve been here before & was going to join but it was the TB posting onslot about this old Jazz that decided it for me I can’t get over some of the reactions the poster has received sounds like it will get sorted out & maybe things will calm down,
Cheers

BTW over at TB I go by the handle 4005
[/quote]
It has definitely calmed down a lot thankfully, I know for certain at this point things will end good. What's best is that is so painfully opposite of what all the haters were hoping for. :D
Shoot me a PM on TB and I'll send you a link to the update thread I'm hoping to start by Monday.
I'm at the mercy of the family as of now still waiting to hear back on all the fine details. She said she has been very busy with work and just hasn't had time to sit down and write it out yet. Fingers crossed she'll write by Sunday night.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331892418' post='1580403']
Preferably whilst riffing along to some Eyehategod. Get it on YouTube and TB will be back to its usual self in trying to have you lynched.

Best plan of the day, I'd say :)
[/quote]
Anything that ends with me being lynched is not really my cup o tea, I'll try and avoid that at all cost. Well then again you never know it could prove to be fun for the local kids they could get sticks and beat me like a pinata : )

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1332025264' post='1582368']
It has definitely calmed down a lot thankfully, I know for certain at this point things will end good. What's best is that is so painfully opposite of what all the haters were hoping for. :D
Shoot me a PM on TB and[b] I'll send you a link to the update thread I'm hoping to start by Monday.[/b]
I'm at the mercy of the family as of now still waiting to hear back on all the fine details. She said she has been very busy with work and just hasn't had time to sit down and write it out yet. Fingers crossed she'll write by Sunday night.
[/quote]

Can you post the same update on here as well, please?
This is a great story and I'm running out of fingernails waiting for the next episode.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1332057939' post='1582532']

Can you post the same update on here as well, please?
This is a great story and I'm running out of fingernails waiting for the next episode.
[/quote]
Yeah absolutely, I plan on updating on both forums.
I ran out of finger nails about a week ago waiting myself, I've talked to the daughter several times and she asked me to put a list of questions together for her to ask her dad (the original player) that was last Sunday.
I talked to her again Thursday to make sure everything was okay and she said that she was sorry , she was still working on it, and was swamped at work so her response to me was taking longer than expected.
So bear with me I'm waiting too, and it's driving me nuts with anticipation.
To be honest I really was hoping to hear back from her over the weekend but still nothing yet.
Hopefully that means its really long and full of cool stories.

Who knows, I don't want to keep bothering her though, so I'm trying to be patient ,,well as much as I can be anyway.

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1332180591' post='1584433']
Yeah absolutely, I plan on updating on both forums.

Who knows, I don't want to keep bothering her though, so I'm trying to be patient ,,well as much as I can be anyway.
[/quote]

Thanks for the update 1SHOT, it's a great story and I'm bustin' to hear who the original bassman is.
I've got an idea but I'm probably way off-beam.

Anyway, in the meantime, keep playing that bass - you won't be able to bite your nails whilst your playing, will you?

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1332182819' post='1584493']
Thanks for the update 1SHOT, it's a great story and I'm bustin' to hear who the original bassman is.
I've got an idea but I'm probably way off-beam.

Anyway, in the meantime, keep playing that bass - you won't be able to bite your nails whilst your playing, will you?
[/quote]
I definitely plan on playing the bass, Have no doubt about it. : )