Why become a member? ×

Bass Service

Quest_bikerider

I was just wondering, Sorry for the basic question but is it a good idea to get a bass guitar checked over by a professional workshop ie to check the truss rod is set right or the bridge is set up right etc. I have had my US Fender Jazz for about 8 years & apart from changing the strings Have not touched it, I dont think there is anything wrong & it plays & sounds great. Should I just leave it alone?

Well I`d say go for it. I always thought my basses were fine, until I had one set up properly. Totally different feel afterwards. Money well spent in my view, in fact, just picked up my backup bass from a luthier yesterday after having a basic set-up done.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1329425461' post='1542420']
And as this is BassChat...

I'm gonna say if it aint broken then don't fiddle with it.

All we need now is for someone to come up with 'maybe' then we'll have the obligatory complete set of answers. :lol:
[/quote]
Nooooo! According to your sig, between me, you and Lozz we've got to come up with another three answers! :lol:

I'm going for 'Set it up yourself, but only if you feel it needs it.'

Edit: Damn, now there's four of us in the game. Now how many answers do we have to give?

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1329426452' post='1542440']
Nooooo! According to your sig, between me, you and Lozz we've got to come up with another three answers! :lol:

I'm going for 'Set it up yourself, but only if you feel it needs it.'

Edit: Damn, now there's four of us in the game. Now how many answers do we have to give?
[/quote]

That's another .25 of an answer each :)

I have to say though that the 'set it up yourself' route is the best way to go if you have the appropriate skills (and you'll only get those by practicing them).

Doing a setup for someone else is always hard because you're naturally going to want to work to the standards that you find most agreeable to yourself and a fair degree of guesswork is going to be needed as to what the end user actually wants out of a setup.

I always setup a new bass to suit me, I've never yet taken an instrument out of the box and felt that it was exactly right.
Once that's been done it'll just get various minor tweaks throughout it's lifetime to keep it the way I want it.
Whenever I change strings I'll quickly check to ensure that the intonation is still true and give it a general dustover, other than that they pretty much get left alone.