Why become a member? ×

New amp?

jtcbass

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide if I really need a new amp. I use a crappy 15 watt Rockburn, which I've had for well over a year and is the only amp I've owned. The thing is, I almost always have the volume on it really low because I'm kinda self conscious about my playing and don't want to annoy people. So I don't think it'd make much difference if I had a better amp.

So is it worth getting a new amp?

It depends what you need the amp for? Do you just practice in the house or do you play in a band?

If you are just practicing in the house and you are reasonably happy with the sound you get out of it then I wouldn't spend money on a new amp. It really depends if you plan on joining a band/gigging. If you don't like the sound you get out of it or you are planning to join a band etc then you could always go for a new one. I had a cheap practice amp for quite a few years before I bought a better amp. That was only because I joined a band and started gigging.

If you're looking for a better practice amp, maybe look at something like the Roland Cube amps. Still perfect for practice as they're not too loud, but offer good tone for their size and will crank a bit if needed, as and when you decide to join a band. They also have headphone sockets out too, so you can be even quieter if required.

Failing that, have a look around on the forum for sale section, or put up a 'wanted' advert on here. Must BC-ers are very generous and willing to help out if they can.

If you just want a new toy to inspire you to play more then how about something like a line6 basspodxt? Then you can plug it into speakers or headphones and not worry about being "annoying".

It is also worth asking yourself if you would be better off paying for a good bass tutor (if you pick one off of basschat you're almost definitely in good hands). A good teacher will help you increase your technique, inspire you and improve your confidence. Then later on you can play loud through an awesome amp ;)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1329406772' post='1542019']
If you're looking for a better practice amp, maybe look at something like the Roland Cube amps. Still perfect for practice as they're not too loud, but offer good tone for their size and will crank a bit if needed, as and when you decide to join a band. They also have headphone sockets out too, so you can be even quieter if required.
[/quote]

massive +1 to this :) I have a roland micro bass cube for home practice and it sounds great. and if you feel the need to crank the volume, my god does it get loud! :D (Still sounds great loud too.)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1329406772' post='1542019']

Failing that, have a look around on the forum for sale section, or put up a 'wanted' advert on here. Must BC-ers are very generous and willing to help out if they can.
[/quote]

And a +1 from me as well.

I heard one of these last night and was very impressed, and I'm a miserable git who doesn't give out praise just because something has a posh product label. :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might have a look at a Roland Cube then.

[quote name='shaundixon666' timestamp='1329406102' post='1542002']
It depends what you need the amp for? Do you just practice in the house or do you play in a band?

If you are just practicing in the house and you are reasonably happy with the sound you get out of it then I wouldn't spend money on a new amp. It really depends if you plan on joining a band/gigging. If you don't like the sound you get out of it or you are planning to join a band etc then you could always go for a new one. I had a cheap practice amp for quite a few years before I bought a better amp. That was only because I joined a band and started gigging.
[/quote]

I'm not in a band at the moment, just want a decent one for home usage.

[quote name='jtcbass' timestamp='1329418433' post='1542281']
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might have a look at a Roland Cube then.

I'm not in a band at the moment, just want a decent one for home usage.
[/quote]

I used to gig with a Roland Cube 60 (they were covered in bright orange vinyl back then!).
I know of other bassists from back then that used to as well - it was them that sold me the idea of using one.
If you needed a bit more 'oomph' then you just DI'd it into the PA system.

The new ones have an aux input so you can connect an IPod and play along with tracks and a headphone socket so you can do it all privately. :)