Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the Barefaced 2x12 Cabs for upright?

Blartfactor10

I use a DB with a Ashdown LB30 and a BFB Midget-T, went for the tweeter version to get the most natural sound possible and it sounds great. I am always getting comments on how natural it sounds.

I would say the Midget-T is more than up to the job... even with 30w I struggle with feedback on stage, mostly though, I stick the DB in to the PA and stay away from speakers!

If like me you also play EBG then it would sound great, just complete overkill when paired with the DB.

[quote name='Blartfactor10' timestamp='1329298357' post='1540101']
... its not loud enough in a five piece band with a loud drummer.

[/quote]

If you're playing DB in that environment then I don't think your answer will be found in the backline!

I'd recommend a Midget on a chair or a stand so that it's nearer head-height, and let the PA take the strain.

My DB stands right next to my main rig for electric bass, which happens to include a Barefaced Super 12. It's never actually occurred to me to run the DB through the Super 12. :lol:

Edited by Happy Jack

I go through a plain vanilla Midget, rarely through a PA. The midget on a stand is great for when there is a PA, but loses too much low mid if it's raised high and has to fill a space. On the floor, it's mighty loud and my bass sounds just great through it. It seems to put out pretty much waht you put in, as does the EA Doubler I use with it.

I would think that the 2X12 would be feedback hell if you used a fraction of the volume you could get, unless you use a mag pickup. Much more to carry too.

The Midget T is a bit pricier than the standard, so you might want to think whether it's worth it to you, but there's certainly lots of love around here for it. :)

Edited by fatback

yep - I use a barefaced super twelve T and an old ashdown ABM 500; Moses graphite mag pick up plugged straight in - great sound (not pure subtle DB but everyone else is playing loud anyway so you would tell) and bloody loud. I can also make it float on feedback just when I need it as well by hovering the bass right in front. sad but fun :)

Normal use very clean sounding but no slap sound obviously. I've also tried kent armstrongs (good but a little muddy) and a KK bassmax (ok but too much feedback even with a plat pro)

Summary - Anything other than a decent mag pickup look elsewhere but if you have a good mag set up it's great fun and a decent sound.

• 2 weeks later...

rockabillybob uses a bassmax and a 4x10" cab and 800w amp if I remember right and swears by them. I ALWAYS got feedback with a bassmax although less then other piezo pickups so I went down the mag route. I mixed the piezo and mag signals at one stage then just got lazy and didn't bother.

It depends on how loudly you really need to play (or rather how loudly you need your backline to be - put the rest of the signal through the PA) how sensitive your strings and DB are to feedback (steel strings feedback easier gut & co less) type of spike you use (anti wolf whistle ones work well) the type of stage you're on (sprung hollow wood is a nightmare) how you position your amp, what you've had for dinner , how many butterflies have taken flight in the amazon during the last song (they;re the only explanations I can find for having feedback one day and not the next in the same place with the same set up!) How much the drums shake your bass and strings also seems to have an effect

I'm also a Rockabilly player. I'm running an Aguilar GS 412, Iamp800, Shen lami bass or German lami with an Underwood and guts ( plain up top & Olivs on the bottom). D-tar Solstice sometimes, dependant on the bass I'm using and the room we're playing in.
One of the bands I play in is a really loud Rockabilly band, and with this setup I have no issues with volume or feedback, even in larger venues. My bass sound is natural and shakes the floor, happy days...........
I've had loads of amp & cab setups over the years for Rockabilly, most of the time and old Ampeg SVT3pro or Ashdown ABM500 with an old trace 1048H & had good results too. Good luck, my sound quest has been going on for 20 years+, but I'm happy with my setup (for now). Only downside is the weight of everything, but in my book it's worth it.
Also as Bob says above, a good compromise can be mixing a mag pickup and a piezo, I also did that years ago, but I just love the sound I can get with guts and an Underwood. If you really need to have the loud backline like I do, there's loads of info on fighting feedback over at Rockabillybass.com, or PM me if there's anything I may be able to help with.

I need to try gut strings I think, at the minute as I was doing a mixture of folk and swing and the Rock n roll band I stuck to Thomastiks - great sound and [i]really[/i] tough on the fingers for slapping. I suspect with the higher tension comes more sensitivity to external sources and so more likely hood to feed back - would be interesting to compare how guts react.