Why become a member? ×

Advice for a rock bassist wanting to expand horizons!

Bigwan

Hi guys. I've been playing on and off for around 16 years, but 99% of it's been spent playing rock and metal. I've always listened to a broad range of music, but have only really played rock. I'd like to make a move away from being so one-dimensional but find playing other kinds of music very challenging - I listen to things like Jamiroquai and am totally blown away by the playing mostly because the rhythms and grooves are so left field compared to what I'm used to! Can anybody give me a "crash course" of albums I should be listening to and learning to change my mindset? Can I ask a broader question than that?

listen to Stone Temple Pilots' bass player Robert DeLeo (great rock bass player - openly admits having a style ripped completely from Jamerson but pulls it off in the rock context like a mutha) and then listen to some motown.. sounds like you and i have a similar goal. i've been a rock bass player for a long time too but now i'm far far away from my band i want to use the time to expand my skills.. motown was just a suggestion because most people find it good to listen to.. but any genre that differs from rock would be benefical i guess - find something that you like to listen to, then just play along to the tunes.. good luck, sparky. :)

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='171390' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:25 PM']Which bands/bassists do you play like, do you think?[/quote]

I've never compared myself to anyone, but having a quick run through my ipod contents I'd compare my playing to a cross between Jason Newsted and Adam Clayton I suppose. Quite a hard question to answer...

Maybe, as Sparky suggests, I'd be best starting with Motown and work through that and some Disco type stuff and see where I end up.

My introduction to playing other than rock and metal was Flea's work on Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I learnt the whole thing, start to finish and it really opened up my horizons. I think that album still stands out as one of the great bass performances of recent-ish years.

Alex

[quote name='Bigwan' post='171523' date='Apr 7 2008, 03:23 PM']How weird is that - that was the first thing I thought of![/quote]

I have (illegal) photocopies of the transcription book which have been following me around for years. Let me know if your ears fancy a helping hand!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='171523' date='Apr 7 2008, 03:23 PM']Slightly off topic - who else thinks the Chili Peppers have been crap since BSSM?[/quote]

Different, I'd say. Whatever they've been doing differently though, they've managed to tap into an absolutely massive audience compared to their pre-Californication days. I've really enjoyed Stadium Arcadium - the only weak point with that album is it covers such a breadth of their music that it's not hugely coherent. If they'd been really ruthless and edited it down to a single album I think it would have been the best work to date.

Alex

I haven't heard any of the new album, except perhaps a live version from when they played at Abbey Road for Channel4, so I can't comment, but BSSM is one hell of an album to try and live up to.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='171543' date='Apr 7 2008, 03:56 PM']I haven't heard any of the new album, except perhaps a live version from when they played at Abbey Road for Channel4, so I can't comment, but BSSM is one hell of an album to try and live up to.[/quote]

The best songs on it, in my opinion, are the ones that they never seem to play on live broadcasts! It's the slower darker material that really feels authentic - the tracks that sound more old Chilis seem somewhat false, like they're trying to rekindle their youth. I notice that Anthony can even sing vaguely in tune nowadays!

Alex

Regarding the original subject, there's a whole world of funk which is often incredibly syncopated but made accessible by its repetitiveness. Check out some pre-Bootsy James Brown (Cold Sweat, et al), The Meters and some of the Parliament/Funkadelic. Find some fat one or two bar riffs and groove them 'til the cows come home.

Alex

[quote name='Bigwan' post='171382' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:11 PM']I didn't mean it to come out like Rock music is one dimensional, I mean my playing is one dimensional. I'm constantly coming out with the same old fills, etc.[/quote]

Yeah, I know, was just trying to get a feel of your taste just to offer a few suggestions :)

[quote name='Bigwan' post='171523' date='Apr 7 2008, 03:23 PM']How weird is that - that was the first thing I thought of![/quote]

same here. He really nailed being melodic _and_ funky and tough.

[quote]Slightly off topic - who else thinks the Chili Peppers have been crap since BSSM?[/quote]

There's some lovely bass on One Hot Minute.

[quote name='bremen' post='171595' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:56 PM']There's some lovely bass on One Hot Minute.[/quote]

Yeah, Aeroplane is one of my fav Chilli tunes, but as an album it's not on a level with BSSM. I'm not a fan of Dave Navaro's playing with them...

Bigwan - maybe try scouring the bargain CD bins and independent record shops for old funk and disco CDs. I've got 2 or three that I only paid a couple of quid each for and there's some amazing tunes on there: Hercules by The Neville Brothers, For the Love of Money by the O'Jays, Good Times by Chic, even Kung Fu Fighting! etc.

A lot of older hip hop uses great samples from the likes of Parliament etc (instead of the likes of Sting and Annie the Musical), some of the sleeve notes will say where the sample came from. Parliament and Funkadelic are great too - Funkadelic could be quite 'rocky' too. James Brown too.

Ska and reggae albums and compilations are worth a look too - The Beat, Specials, Toots and Maytals, Bob Marley, etc (I'm not a hardcore reggae fan).

Ive been listening to Stadium Arcadium, and think there are some excellent songs on there. Okay they may not be the most complex works but they are melodic and really listenable (is there such a word?), it's the only music I've had on in my car for a few weeks.

Back on topic, I found myself in the same situation as you Bigwan when I took up playing again last year after a long break. I'd always played rock with a pick (in originals bands) and wanted to learn new styles (both music and methods of playing). So I binned my picks and started to learn fingerstyle, I found that also led to me wanting to play different types of music. Attending the local jam night has also helped me diversify, we get a variety of musical types there. Bassists are a bit thin on the ground so I get to play various styles and learn a lot on the fly.

More recently, I've become a bit of a slapper :) that's got me into more musical genres. I've even added a few slappy bits into some of our bands tunes, hopefully without being too OTT and naff lol.

Pete.