Why become a member? ×

A bit fed up - little finger buzzing

Walker

I've had my upright a few weeks now, I've had lessons, read loads, watched DVD's and practice regularly. It's all coming together in my head and on the fingerboard.

My instrument is well set up and sounds great.

However, every single time I 'fret' a note using my little finger (supported by the others), it buzzes.

Did everyone go through this when they started? Is it just a case of building up strength or is it a technique thing?

Are there any exercises you use for finger strength or is it just a case of practice, practice, practice?

Thanks!
Chris

How high are your strings at the end of the fingerboard? Actually what strings are they? I had this issue with my first set of strings (the higher tension Evah Pirazzi set) but they were hard to play generally. Perhaps try something lighter at least until you've got into shape for playing the thing. Also make sure you're holding your elbow up nice and high (close to parallel with your shoulder when playing the lowest positions, assuming you've got your bass at the right height) which will help you apply more pressure without squeezing your hand. Squeezing too hard can lead to tendon problems so avoid it as much as you can.

Also if it happens on particular notes it could mean your fingerboard needs shooting, but you probably already thought of that.

Edited by thisnameistaken

In terms of exercises, the best exercise is playing the bass. See how long you can play without your forearm feeling fatigue or your elbow starting to drop - when that happens, take a five minute break, then go back to it. That's the safest way to build up the muscles you need, don't continue to play if your arm is feeling tired, a short break is all you need so make sure you take it.

The advice above is all good. If the problem persists it might be worth investigating lower tension strings, eg, Innovation Silver Slaps (if you are using a piezo pickup) or Kolstein Heritage(if you need steels for a mag pickup). I used to have some high tension Thomastik strings and not only did they completely tire me out with minutes but the prssure required to hold down a note also lent itself to exactly the problem you have encountered.

Just keep practising! It's all too easy to get sucked in to changing your gear every other day when reading posts on this forum (apologies guys I'm guilty of it too). You've only been playing a few weeks so every change will just send you back to square one. You say your bass is well set up, you've got a great set of strings on it (which contrary to what everyone on here says, are actually soft feeling strings). Just stick with what you've got and put in the time on the instrument. You'll progress a lot faster.

PS the buzz is down to the string not connecting with the fingerboard properly. Are you keeping fingers 12&3 down properly in position while using your 4th? Also, the more you play, you'll start to develop a pad-like callus which will give you more surface area to press with.

Thank you for that advice! I understand what you are saying. The strings are wonderful and I'm delighted with the tone.

Yes, I'm using 1 2 & 3 to support 4 and that seems to be where half the problem is - if i just use 4, I don't get buzz, so I'm assuming that when I'm supporting it, 4 gets a bit lazy!

Thanks again,

Chris

No worries Chris,

It'll just be a strength thing coupled with lack of calluses. Just tried playing mine left handed to get the idea of what you're experiencing. Your little finger is naturally the weakest and has more of a stretch to do than the middle fingers. It'll get easier with time.