Why become a member? ×

pedal order help?

leftyhook

I've never been one for pedals. Owned one chorus and one octave pedal in 30 years.
However I've come into a few recently. Nothing flash....

I would appreciate some of your expert advice on running order to be placed on a Pedaltrain jr board.
Your reasoning would also be appreciated to help me understand why a particular order.

Here's the run down:

Boss CE-2B chorus
Boss OC-3 Octave
Big Muff Pi bass fuzz
Behringer bass graphic
Marshall Ed-1 Compressor ( is a bass compressor vital?)

Oh, my main objective is to create some kind of synth sound, which I have gotten quite close to with the Big Muff, octave and graphic (middle 2 bands right down)

Your help is received with much gratitude!

I recommend the Markbass Super Synth as well the the EHX Bass Micro Synth. Both are quite
versatile.
For more synthy/weird fuzzes I recommend the Subdecay Noisebox as well as the Copilot FX Orbit.
Not sure about the differences between the OC-2 and OC-3, but apparently the OC-3 is less synth-sounding,
but you'd have to compare.

If you want a classic synth sound I would suggest Octave then Fuzz then an Envelope filter. Modulation and EQ applied later. If you are trying to get specific sounds though give us a link, other wise... Try everything. Take a peek at my last blog post as it basically sums this all up too: [url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/2012/2/11/signal-chain-basics.html"]Shep on Bass - Signal chain basics[/url]

I'd say pretty much the same as Letts did, or maybe octave, graphic, fuzz, chorus (usually OC before any other FX). But play around & find out what you like the sound of.
Like Shep says, an enevelope filter is a useful thing for synth sounds.