Why become a member? ×

Mullard 883/12 AX7 Pre-amp valve.

REDLAWMAN

When people speak of the Mullard as being the all-time, ultimate pre-amp value, which one of what seems like quite a few is it, please?

Where would one buy some from with safety and quality assurance, please? I don't feel too confident just going to an ebay seller.

Thanks

Mullard are British valves, so will use the British classicifaction, which is ECC83. 12AX7 is the American name for the same thing. Thhey made them over a long period so there is various styles of internal structure an white and yellow text, and the difference is mostly snake oil. New Old stock has lsot a lot of its meaning, is is supposed to be new ununsed valves, but you are better off getting ones that have been tested (from me).

Well, Bigbottomend, as an example: if you follow the ebay link you posted and look at the guys other listings, he has a number of different Mullard, British-made, NOS, ECC83's valves advertised, all for different prices.

I appreciate that the terms ECC83, 12AXT and 7025 are interchangeable; I'm talking about things like BLACK LABEL; GREY LABEL; YELLOW LABEL; different designation codes, pin length, etc.

Follow this link and you'll see:- http://www.altofidelity.com/link1.asp

Edited by REDLAWMAN

Do you mean long plate rather than long pin? Pins have to be consistent to be compatible. Long plate is better for tone mojo, short plate is less microphonic so better in practice. Most of the difference is down to seeing the tone. I've had people demand to know details to they can tell how it sounds in favour of actual recordings.

Well i have plenty Mullard ecc83 and i'm not after buying or selling any. The only things i maybe interested in are 12dw7, 12bh7 & 6550a / KT88

Red and Mr Foxen, do you two have a buisness partnership ? Personally i feel that the OP used a leading question and then to follow up with a link to a website of your own selling valves smells of an atempt at direct selling.

Bigbottomend: are you suggesting that the link I posted, by way of an attempt to help you to understand an already very simple point, is in fact a link to my own sales business...?

Incidentally, no one asked you either what you wish to buy/sell, or what you're interested in.

Edited by REDLAWMAN

Monckyman; that's exceptionally funny, even though- I presume quite unwittingly- you appear to have turned me into a horticulturalist........! :D

AAANNNYYYWWWAAAYYY......

I want to buy some ludicrously expensive NOS valves, so that I can monitor covertly everyone's secret conversations and hear them in better detail: where may I safely buy some of these elusive things like my Grandad used to have in his giant radio...??

[quote name='bigbottomend' timestamp='1328951864' post='1535133']
Well i have plenty Mullard ecc83 and i'm not after buying or selling any. The only things i maybe interested in are 12dw7, 12bh7 & 6550a / KT88

Red and Mr Foxen, do you two have a buisness partnership ? Personally i feel that the OP used a leading question and then to follow up with a link to a website of your own selling valves smells of an atempt at direct selling.
[/quote]
Red... in Truro.... Mr Foxen... In bristol.... provide a link to a company in east london..... the link between all three.... valves! oh dear! I have a 1950's mullard el84 sat in front of me, am I in on this business too?

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' timestamp='1328906895' post='1534814']
When people speak of the Mullard as being the all-time, ultimate pre-amp value, which one of what seems like quite a few is it, please?

Where would one buy some from with safety and quality assurance, please? I don't feel too confident just going to an ebay seller.

Thanks
[/quote]

You asked this question in the original post.
You then admit to selling valves.

It's quite simple, I get it, without my tin hat on, doesnt anyone else.

As tiresome as this has now become, I'm so incredulous of what continues to unfold that I just can't put it down.

You know what, you're right; I sell valves: when I get home every night and leave behind the relative poverty of my 'day-job' as Managing Partner of a Legal 500 law firm, I go online and sell valves....

[quote name='bigbottomend' timestamp='1328975884' post='1535548'] You asked this question in the original post. You then admit to selling valves. It's quite simple, I get it, without my tin hat on, doesnt anyone else. [/quote]

you really do need to lay of the drugs mate! :D what are you on about?
the link that Red stuck in his post is a company in london. london is a long way from truro...

There was a thread I started a while about asking questions about types of bass guitar. I'm pretty sure i have sold one or two too.... this also a problem?

[quote name='bigbottomend' timestamp='1328951864' post='1535133']
[/quote]

I have a pair of original Gold Lion KT88s going, tested, work fine. Not ken on selling my valves, I consider them an appreciating and useful asset, since I get through valve amps attemtping to satisfy my insatiable curiousity about them.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1328980466' post='1535649']
I have a pair of original Gold Lion KT88s going, tested, work fine. Not ken on selling my valves, I consider them an appreciating and useful asset, since I get through valve amps attemtping to satisfy my insatiable curiousity about them.
[/quote]

I'd want 6 if you know anyone ?

Of course I know someone, I know everyone who has vintage valves, we are all one.

[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/goldlions002.jpg[/IMG]

I don't keep this sort of top end vales, no point in them for bass amps when the idea is pushing into istortion, so I never have many at once.