Why become a member? ×

Auditioning for a band tomorrow - any last minute advice?

TDM

I got an email the other day asking if I would like to play bass for a local rock/hard rock band. They suggested a few songs which were on the setlist for me to learn. They are Mr Brownstone and Nightrain by Guns N Roses and possibly Burn by Deep Purple. I've not played in a band for quite some time so I'm rather out of practice but I think I've got the GnR songs down mostly. Anyone got any general/specific advice?

Thanks! :D

Be early.
Make sure you`ve checked all your gear is working, and make sure you take all that is needed with you.
Smile, and be friendly.
Once you`ve done the playing part, ask the band what their direction is - if they want to be gigging 4 nights a week, every week, and you do shift work, well it`s not gonna work, so establish who exactly they`re looking for, as well as establishing it this is the band for you.
When chatting stress any plus points - driving, backing vocs, contacts in venues etc.
Don`t slag off any previous guitarists you`ve worked with.

[list]
[*]Make sure all of your kit is healthy and in perfect working order!
[*]If you have songs to learn before the audition...learn them! If you don't then be methodical and patient learning the song as you go along and avoid gurning in frustration. When the other musicians are watching you like a hawk negative body language will be easily picked up.
[*]Be on time and show your willingness to help the other musicians getting their kit out of their car (that first impression goes a long way!)
[*]Make small talk whilst everyone is tuning up/setting up. Football is usually a good ice breaker!
[*]Don't criticise the other musicians if something doesn't sound right to you. Remember, your under the microscope...not them!
[*]Don't criticise the last band/artist you worked with.
[*]Just be calm and be yourself.
[*]Work out if your personal commitments will allow time to be a part of the band/artist you are audtioning for.
[*]Enjoy the experience! Meeting new musicians is always a lot of fun :)
[/list]

Just be cool and enjoy yourself- give yourself the mindset that you are auditioning them, not the other way round. Make sure you know the songs better than they do.

Be prepared to make a hasty excuse and leave immediately if they are a bunch of numpties ( happened to me more than once- always got my wife to call after an hour with some excuse for me to leave- she knew I would ignore the call if they were OK )