Why become a member? ×

Hartke Kilo pre amp valves

doomed

Anyone played around with different valves than the standard actory fitted ones? I read the Terror Bass valve swap thread and wondered if the Kilo would respond to a bit of swapping in a similar way, as i've not done this before and as there are 3 12ax7 tubes in it, which tube/tubes would respond best to swapping? Any and all ideas welcome.

Just curious I suppose, I read about the improvement in tone someone got by sticking a Gold Lion in their Hartke LH and was wondering if the Kilo would respond to a little valve swapping, I know the LH series only the one 12AX7 whereas I have 3 in the Kilo, which of the 3 would have the most influence if any on the amps sound? I'm happy with the amp it sounds fine and has more tones than I'll ever use, but as I say I'm just curious as to the effect a different valve/valves may have.

Hi, I have the Kilo in my rig and yes at some point I will do a bit of tube rolling with it - something i've done with most valve amps i have owned. Although I haven't looked under the hood yet, I'm expecting to find Sovteks, maybe the ElectroHarmonix/ GT choice, the 12AX7WA .. My personal taste in valve is the telefunken style valves like the JJ ECC83S (premium model) that definitely has a different character to the Sovteks. More upper mids and zingy top end.. Although in some ive found that it sounds like they have less wooly bottom end,mthus making them sound clearer vs the Sovteks.

Reading reviews, valve amp purists say the first valve in guitar amps is the 'critical position' and thus i'd stick the best quality valve in there... But what 'flavour' is personal choice. Mr Foxen is quite correct, if a valve is part of a distortion circuit, then you may have to look at the right valve fornthe job, as say a Mullard sounds different to a GT sounds different to a.. Etc etc.

You could buy a selection of valves and try a few out over a few gigs / rehearsals to see what you like best? Maybe let us know how you get on!

Oh, caveat time, be careful when changing valves!