Why become a member? ×

Steinberger Spirit XT-25

lxxwj

Anyone ever played this thing? I've been thinking of getting
a lefty model, and I've always wanted a 5-string.. various good reviews online
and such, but I wanted to ask you guys first. Although, it'll take
me awhile to save up for one, but nevertheless!
What are your experiences with Steinberger spirits?

...and of course, I'll stick some (better) EMG's on it and a string converter
so I won't have to use those terrible 'double-ball' strings.

Edited by lxxwj

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "a string converter[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]so I won't have to use those terrible 'double-ball' strings."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One of the *best* things about the Steinberger system is the double ball string.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Stable tuning and you can change a whole set in about 5 minutes without any tools. I even changed a broken string once during a song and was back on four strings before the end. OK, song was in a key where I could use open strings often! :-)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Good makes I can buy here in the UK are Elites or Status Hot Wires.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Best of luck[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Ed[/color][/font]

Avoid IME, the ones I had were sh*te. Go for a Hohner. Immeasurably better built, better electronics, better everything really.

What's wrong with DBE strings? The converter I got ruined a set of DRs in five minutes, and I am sure I didn't over-tighten the set screws. Get La Bella DBEs

No Hohner lefties that I can find. If they don't have any readily available, I'm not
putting any time into searching for 'em. Serves 'em right for not making lefty models!

On the strings: I've heard from a few sources that double ball (guitar) strings
are terrible... might work better on a bass, who knows?

Edit: And I'm pretty sure Hohner's and Steinberger's are pretty much the same anyway,
they use the same hardware according to the Hohner site..

Edit 2: Ah, found a 'lefty' 5-string on Amazon. Picture's a righty though. Doesn't
make me feel very secure about it.. o_O
It's quite more expensive (250$ish) more than the XT-25L, so if you're
going by price alone it's higher quality..

Edit 3: Also has an active preamp. Hmm.. but also says it has humbuckers. Which
it obviously doesn't. Yeah, I don't trust this thing at all.

Edited by lxxwj

I had two and loved them (both for free, big cock up on Music YO's side). Probably the nicest 5 strings i had played up to that point. I traded the second one for a 4 string Honer but didn't keep it long. Nice as it was i just didn't get on with it, plus it was active and i wasnt too keen on that. I felt the passive EMG's sounded nicer.

Tone wise i was very happy with the XT-25, i quite like the EMG Selects. Ive still got a white 4 string Spirit XZ2, (the one with the conventional body shape) and that too has the EMG select's and it sounds very nice.

Edited by dave_bass5