Why become a member? ×

Squier Pro Tone P Bass first time out

FourStrung

Had a rehearsal yesterday for the first time with a lovely little 97 Squier pro tone I picked up in December, instead of my Fender P bass. I had messed about before hand to mod the settings on my Ashdown Mag 115 300 combo + 115 Mag Deep cab and had tweeked the settings to give something I quite liked. To my surprise at the end of a couple of hours I asked
the others what they had thought of the sound, and got the thumbs all round up over my Fender. So, I took it out last night to give it its first public airing, but still with some reservations. Well what can I say - it sounded pretty damn good, and my confession is that I do love the styling of this bass, black body, matching headstock, red (not quite pearloid) pickguard and looks very cool. As much as I love my Fender I will give this a few more outings, it does have a great slim neck which makes it so easy to play and not hard work at all for a gig.

Edited by FourStrung

Great! It can be hit and miss with Squires. I bought a P/J Squier.(note unexpected spelling!) installed some Dimarzios....

Just didn't do it for me. I just can't get away with the Fender type volume/tone controls.

So used to looking at the numbers on my Wal dials I guess.

Anyway it doesn't matter if its a Fende-'real' or a Squier, if it inspires youand sounds the way you want it, then that's all that you could ask for.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1328457905' post='1527320']
Great! It can be hit and miss with Squires. I bought a P/J Squier.(note unexpected spelling!) installed some Dimarzios....

Just didn't do it for me. I just can't get away with the Fender type volume/tone controls.

So used to looking at the numbers on my Wal dials I guess.

Anyway it doesn't matter if its a Fende-'real' or a Squier, if it inspires youand sounds the way you want it, then that's all that you could ask for.
[/quote]I understand what you mean by using a certain type of bass and guess I am a Fender sort of person. The spelling error (now corrected thank you) is what happens after a late gig night at my age or maybe it was the -12º drive home - ha ha...that was a dumb error - but I'm not stopping playing til I drop :)

Edited by FourStrung

Nice looking bass there.

I do like black with a contrasting scratchplate.

I have great great faith in Squiers to do the job and it seems your finding were pretty similar.

Although, I had a plonk on a black Fender P with gold anodised scratchplate last week.
Lovely looking thing, but when he told me the price tag started with a 9, I stopped listening.

He must have been guessing the price, it was one of these.

[url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/bass/bass-guitars/fender-deluxe-active-p-bass-special-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/bass/bass-guitars/fender-deluxe-active-p-bass-special-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase[/url]

I like the way the J pickup kind of disappears on that.

Anyway, yours is a cracking bass - enjoy.

Edited by JohnFitzgerald

[quote name='FourStrung' timestamp='1328457431' post='1527314']
Had a rehearsal yesterday for the first time with a lovely little 97 Squier pro tone I picked up in December, instead of my Fender P bass. I had messed about before hand to mod the settings on my Ashdown Mag 115 300 combo + 115 Mag Deep cab and had tweeked the settings to give something I quite liked. To my surprise at the end of a couple of hours I asked
the others what they had thought of the sound, and got the thumbs all round up over my Fender. So, I took it out last night to give it its first public airing, but still with some reservations. Well what can I say - it sounded pretty damn good, and my confession is that I do love the styling of this bass, black body, matching headstock, red (not quite pearloid) pickguard and looks very cool. As much as I love my Fender I will give this a few more outings, it does have a great slim neck which makes it so easy to play and not hard work at all for a gig.
[/quote]

I so very nearly bought that myself, glad to hear it`s what you wanted :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328470853' post='1527657']
I so very nearly bought that myself, glad to hear it`s what you wanted :)
[/quote]It was too good a deal to let it pass by, but I was only looking for a case at the time.
I have since seen one for the past 2-3 weeks on ebay trying to be sold for almost £500 from the "Netherlands" - that could be hopeful but keeping an eye on it anyway :) Mine sits very nicely alongside my Cherryburst Fender TC-90 telecaster.