Why become a member? ×

Bass lines on other instruments...

skej21

I fell in love with the Youngblood Brass band long before I picked up the bass properly, but having recently rediscovered them and after becoming hooked again I only just realised how funkin' AWESOME the bass lines are!

From a sousaphone, I think it's pretty impressive.

Just wondering what you guys think of bass lines played on instruments other than acoustic/electric bass....

(oh and keyboard opinions don't count, we all know they are just trying to annoy us and drown us out! :P)

P.s.

An example of Youngblood in action;

http://youtu.be/TxH9Dg1JLio

Had a go on a sousaphone one day on a festival, awesome and much easier than I would have thought. Well yes to play properly will be hard as it is on any instrument. I am not a wind player, but I reckon as long as you stay in Bflat Eflat etc. it is comparatively easy it seems - and being a sousaphone, you have to stay there anyway... much more limited than a tuba.

I spotted one in a local shop around the corner here but apparently, somebody had converted it into a lamp shade and it was beyond repair, bastards.

Saw Bon Iver last year with an epic 9-piece instrument swapping band, and although there was some bass guitar in a few songs, the majority of the basslines came from a bass (not baritone, he reminded us) sax, which had an awesome, dirty raspy sound to it and really punched you in the guts. Thought that was a good'un.