Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Upstairs wooden floor boominess

KennysFord

Hi Folks,
I've just started playing with a steel band who practise in an upstairs room with a wooden floor.
I used 2 10" cabs last week and tried 1 10" last night but all I'm getting is boominess. I also tried my active Blazer last night (as opposed to my P with flats last week)that has tons of mids but it was all swallowed up in a thick yucky mess. I tried thick carpet doubled up under the cab, cab on top of amp on a chair etc etc.
Is there anything I can do or use to combat the boom.Any amount of eq ing is doing nothing to get me a half decent sound.
Thanks in advance.

I know this is probably a bit off topic. But I heard on a radio programme a few days ago that [i]some[/i] councils/landlords forbid bare floorboards on properties where people are living below. I didnt catch the whole programee and you dont make it clear whether practise upstairs is above a pub or upstairs in your house. I was quite surprised, but for anyone living in a flat it may be worth checking your tenancy agreement closely. But, its just a thought. :)

Time to invest in a Gramma Pad? ;-)
[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1327998964' post='1519954']
Maybe put the cab on doubled over carpet ( better still an Auralex Gramma pad) and position cab near wall pointing in to the wall or a corner so the sound is part absorbed by the wall and not bouncing around so much?
[/quote]

+1

Make sure your cab is sitting in the corner (I mean right in the corner as in almost touching the walls) if you can or at least flat against one wall. Unfortunately I think its just the boominess of the room you're hearing and whilst you can do so much with a graphic EQ, sometimes you can't get around it. I'm not sure the GrammaPad will do that much either as it seems to be the resonance of the space in the room rather than the floor. A carpet along the whole floor would help because soft surfaces will reduce resonances from reflections, but if you've got your amp off the ground on a chair I'm not sure theres much else...

It sounds like room resonance to me. This can be complex and I doubt anyone will help much without being there. You may well be better to keep away from the walls as each reflecting surface near the speaker will boost the bass by 3dB. If the room is small this will be impossible of course. Raising the speaker well off the floor may also help.

Basically the room has a series of resonances (just like a bass string) a suspended floor will have a resonance but so will the air in the room. In fact it will have lots of resonances. If you play any of these notes you will excite the resonances. Just like a string however the room is resonant in certain places more than others only it is in three dimensions. Moving the amp around might help you find the least resonant spot in the room. You'll have to use trial and error.

I practice in one particularly resonant room. I use my Hartke Kickback pointing straight at me and turn down. The resonance means everyone else hears only woolly bass but it is bearable, just.

Good luck