Why become a member? ×

greetings from preston

KennysFord

hi all.
ive been browsing the odd bass forum for a while,from first impressions a lot of them are so far up there own chuffers it kinda put me off.not here me thinks,a very open minded bunch,good sense of humour and the place for me.
so i thought id better post a few on here and introduce my self first.
ive been playing different instruments on and off for the last 10 years,mainly acoustic but was never really inspired to take it to a higher level.I finally found my calling,saw the light,met my destiny at the tender age of 43 when i picked up my brothers jazz bass last year.Mmmmm i thought.......... this could be it,what ive been searching for.Anyways.. a year and a half later im still totally inspired and lovin' the low end.
My first bass was a £40 fleabayer but ive since progressed to a MM sterling hs,an 80's riverhead 5 string MM copy and a jazz bass.
Musically my first love is funk,soul,motown etc(im a relic of the northwest jazz funk scene from the late 70's early 80's) going slightly leftfield im into bluegrass too.
So thats me for now.im looking forward to being a fully fledged BCer and thanks for looking.
pete. :)

Hi Bob,
hehe,she'll still be getting a dose of the blues.
ive recently re-discovered an artist from my youth "Ram John Holder",seriously nice early british blues !!
Without wanting to enter into the "teaching ya'll how to suck eggs"syndrome,if you're not familliar with his stuff you should check him out.there's a few tracks on his "myspace"site from his album black london blues.I prefer one of his other albums though "bootleg blues",deffo in my top 5 albums of all time.Could i find it online though,not a chance.
enjoy. :) :huh:

Btw,he was one of the characters in The desmonds,porkpie i think.

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='170179' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:40 AM']Hi Bob,
hehe,she'll still be getting a dose of the blues.
ive recently re-discovered an artist from my youth "Ram John Holder",seriously nice early british blues !!
Without wanting to enter into the "teaching ya'll how to suck eggs"syndrome,if you're not familliar with his stuff you should check him out.there's a few tracks on his "myspace"site from his album black london blues.I prefer one of his other albums though "bootleg blues",deffo in my top 5 albums of all time.Could i find it online though,not a chance.
enjoy. :) :huh:

Btw,he was one of the characters in The desmonds,porkpie i think.[/quote]

Pete,

Yehayy, more Brit stuff to check out... I have quite a bit of early Calpton and obviously John Mayall, but no he's new to me so thanks for teh heads up....

My dad was born and rasied in Arkansas and worked in Alabama for some time before joining the Air force and coming here so I guess Delta blues is in the blood (or at least the appreciation of it) ....

Not long now bud..... I felt a little tug at the heart strings this morning packing the Bobanez up, however its going to a good home I've sussed that out!

Better still a fellow blues fan.... ;)

Cheers Bob.
here you go matey,
let me know if you like and ill get a CD to ya.
cheers.
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=70963713"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=70963713[/url]

ps,
dont you worry mate,she'll get the respect she deserves.
thanks. :)

Edited by kennyrodg

Hi Cameron,thanks for the welcome.
Sorry but ive not been to the Lamb lately,to be honest i didnt know there was a Jazz Funk night on there.....if thats what you meant.
Back in the day i got into the music,firstly at the carribean club in town then in 79 cassinelli's in standish started up and was the place to be.Oh the memories.Blackpool all dayers,tunes to die for,jumpers for goalposts and all that hehe.
I used go to the king georges hall in blackburn till a couple of years ago.Im still loving the music tho',trying my best to jam along too.
So whats the lamb like now then ?? I used to go now and then when they had bands on

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='175307' date='Apr 12 2008, 05:39 PM']Cheers Bob.
here you go matey,
let me know if you like and ill get a CD to ya.
cheers.
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=70963713"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=70963713[/url]

ps,
dont you worry mate,she'll get the respect she deserves.
thanks. :)[/quote]

WOW, yes please Pete.... there was a whole undergound [u]BLACK[/u] UK blues scene?

How niaive of me to think it was just rich white kids that afford the records....

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='175469' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:41 PM']Hi Cameron,thanks for the welcome.
Sorry but ive not been to the Lamb lately,to be honest i didnt know there was a Jazz Funk night on there.....if thats what you meant.
Back in the day i got into the music,firstly at the carribean club in town then in 79 cassinelli's in standish started up and was the place to be.Oh the memories.Blackpool all dayers,tunes to die for,jumpers for goalposts and all that hehe.
I used go to the king georges hall in blackburn till a couple of years ago.Im still loving the music tho',trying my best to jam along too.
So whats the lamb like now then ?? I used to go now and then when they had bands on[/quote]

The Lamb was a great little pub venue at the end of Church street for live bands.
Sunday night was usually jazz funk and the band 'Free Parking' would have many different line ups,
the rhythm section Steve Williams on bass and Paul Burgess ( ex 10CC drummer)was my favourite combination.
It closed a few years ago and has been converted into flats i think.

hi there,
as the pic says "thanks for the info"
sorry i missed you guys at the red lion the other week,im a stones throw from there.
i could be wrong but i think one of you guys fixed our tumble drier a couple of months back,Ace repairs springs to mind.How rock n roll is that !! :)

we may see you there.