Why become a member? ×

First upright practice tonight

Walker

Took my Superlight to practice tonight much to the amusement of the guys - skelebass, they called it.

Brilliant fun, never come back from practice so knackered. I dance around a lot more with this.

Sits well in the mix, fewer notes... But what notes they were :)

Lovin it, but my fingertips feel virgin again!

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1327954529' post='1519487']
it's ace isn't it,makes bass guitar seem boring & weedy
[/quote]

So true. I hardly touch my bg anymore. I had to make myself play it last week cos I suddenly got nervous I might have to do an unexpected gig on same, but it felt like a chore.

As for the blisters, I found right hand blisters were much less a problem if I worked at playing with the sides of my fingers mostly, rather than the tips bg style.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1327954529' post='1519487']
it's ace isn't it,makes bass guitar seem boring & weedy
[/quote]

It'll be a while before I agree with this, but that's purely down to me being crap on upright at the moment;) So I'll be doing plenty of alternating between electric and upright!

A few years ago I did a bit of rock climbing and after playing a longish bluegrass number on Sunday, my left forearm muscles were as pumped up as they used to be after hanging off a ledge for 5 minutes! Luckily, I've got a Powerball left over from a wrist injury I had, so that's been dusted off.

Anyway, great fun and I'm really looking forward to improving and performing with it.

I did a gig last Wednesday, the first after I broke my arm back at the end of October. Came through it very well really (2x 1hr). Surprising thing is I expected my right fingers to blister up after that amount of inactivity but they stayed fine - just slightly sore. I have a spare practice amp upstairs and always practice - well ten minutes a day max - with the amp turned on and I think that helps the fingers.

The joy of depping is that I still discover new songs. Our singer (female) sang 'Horizontal.' Lots of double entendres and words by a young Hal David. Anyone know it?

I did 3 hours on the DB last night and apart from a couple of blisters (keeping up acoustically with drums, piano, guitar, and three horns) I was fine, compared to the crippling wrist injuries I get from bass guitar these days it's positively therapeutic to play this thing.

I hadn't played with those guys before and bless them they threw me a solo in the last tune. I don't play solos at all but this tune was right in my comfort zone (reggae feel, harmonic minor) and it was just me and the drummer so I gave it a good bash. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1328137110' post='1522654']

I hadn't played with those guys before and bless them they threw me a solo in the last tune. I don't play solos at all but this tune was right in my comfort zone (reggae feel, harmonic minor) and it was just me and the drummer so I gave it a good bash. :)
[/quote]

Oh well done for coping. My nightmare is someone ambushing me like that. :)

I'm very lucky to go to a weekly jazz ensemble class and while my solos are inept and short, I'm determined to have a go. Things can only get better, no? Last term's end of term performance saw me not soloing at all. I'm hoping to do at least one this term. (Can't let the front line have all the fun ...)