Why become a member? ×

Ashdown vs Ampeg vs Orange vs Fender

Tripehound

Started shopping for a new amp in anger today. Tried the Orange Bass Terror with the SP212 - sounded very good indeed and for some unfathomable reason had low expectations. Next up the Ashdown ABM 500 2 x 10" and it came across to me as competent, flexible, well-made and - erm - not very exciting.

I live near Nottingham and it means a long drive to the next set of shops to try out the other possibles on my list - the Ampeg Pf300 or 500 fliptop - and the Fender Bassman TV.

Is it worth that long drive?

The Ampeg PF500 is a very good amp, does that lovely Ampeg sound very well indeed. Some of them seem to have had problems, but I`ve had mine since about May last year, and done 3hr rehearsals, 3hr gigs, and day-long recording sessions with it, and had no trouble at all. Def worth a listen to one, I`d say.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327779008' post='1516741']
I'd take the Orange but with a bigger cab, I've used mine with a TC RS210 ground shaking.
[/quote]

Yep - the only thing that puts me off about Orange is orange.

Thanks for the advice folks - I keep hearing good stuff about the Ampeg PF and it looks like it won't wreck my back. Anyone have an opinion on the Bassman TV (probably the 15 or 2x10)? Seduced by looks but suspect not better enough to justify the price differential?