Why become a member? ×

Korean Cort factory squiers...?

leftyhook

Could someone please give me a brief pointer on the mid 90's squiers that were made in the Cort factory? I read on another forum that they can vary dramatically, while someone said they are very close to a MIA build.

I am looking for another project bass to possible install better pups.

So, a mid 90's Korean P bass...yes? no?

cheers

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1327672428' post='1515148']
Could someone please give me a brief pointer on the mid 90's squiers that were made in the Cort factory? I read on another forum that they can vary dramatically, while someone said they are very close to a MIA build.

I am looking for another project bass to possible install better pups.

So, a mid 90's Korean P bass...yes? no?

cheers
[/quote]

I've a vague recollection they were variable and generally nothing special, so yes, very close to a mid 90s MIA Fender build :P

I'd be wary of buying one blind, need to try it first.

My Dad has one of the Squiers you're talking about (even if it's a Strat). The neck is absolutely amazing - not anywhere near normal Squier quality and I would indeed put it on par with an MIA, fretwork is outstanding. The hardware also looks MIA (stamped - not cast bridge saddles) but the pickups were average (now swapped out for Vintage Noiseless). The body is hard to determine - it's covered in paint ! I think his one is early 90s (91 from memory) - not sure if that matches the time period you are referring to. I think maybe Cort put these out to impress Fender and got told to tone it down a bit to avoid embarassing them. (It does now however have a Fender logo on it ;).

I've played two Cort Squiers (both teles, not basses) and they were chalk and cheese. The first one was very nice and encouraged me to go looking for one of my own. It wasn't the same at all and I passed up on buying it. If that's any indication then yes, they do vary enormously.

Also look out for plywood bodies. Nothing wrong with plywood per se, but they do tend to weigh a bit more and may affect the resale value.

If you were closer to Merseyside you could try my lefty Squier Precision, 1995, Korean.

I bought it second hand about 10 years ago for a steal. I fitted a bone nut, as a right handed player had been using it upside down and put some EMG's and an EMG pre in it. New Gotoh bridge and good to go.

The body is very decent, good standard of finish and the neck was spot on, really well fitted and finished frets. But I would say try before you buy.