Why become a member? ×

Warwick Neck Widths

Smash

Does anybody know where I can find the width of the necks of Warwick basses, especially at the nut end?
I like Jazz necks or fast slim necks and someone a while back told me I wouldn't get on with Warwick necks as they are thick? Is this true?

Reason for asking is all these cheap Warwicks are unbearable GAS, I don't really need one but..... they look so nice.

[quote name='Smash' post='169731' date='Apr 4 2008, 12:23 PM']Does anybody know where I can find the width of the necks of Warwick basses, especially at the nut end?
I like Jazz necks or fast slim necks and someone a while back told me I wouldn't get on with Warwick necks as they are thick? Is this true?

Reason for asking is all these cheap Warwicks are unbearable GAS, I don't really need one but..... they look so nice.[/quote]

The Warwick necks vary as much as Fender ones do. Bear in mind that the depth and profile of the neck has as much bearing as the width. I'll measure a couple of my Warwicks when I get home but the rule of thumb is (no pun intended) the older Warwicks have slmmer/thinner necks but the newer (especially BO) necks are chunkier and any Dolphin neck will feel like an aircraft carrier if you like pencil necks :)

The newer Warwick necks are chunky, but that's more down to depth than it is nut width. Personally, I find the neck on my Corvette much nicer to play then my Jazz, but I don't think that's down to nut width - its more down to the overall profile of the neck and the feel of the ovangkol as oppposed to the Fender's maple.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Smash' post='169731' date='Apr 4 2008, 12:23 PM']Does anybody know where I can find the width of the necks of Warwick basses, especially at the nut end?

Reason for asking is all these cheap Warwicks are unbearable GAS, I don't really need one but..... they look so nice.[/quote]
If you want a fast slim neck on a Warwick, there's a JD Thumb for sale at the moment (on the sarf coast, IIRC). That's if it's not gone yet, absolute bargain.

My Fortress has a very slim comfortable neck, much like a jazz it was a surprise as i was under the misconception that all warwick necks were chunky

Thanks for the replies

I wondered what people were talking about JD Thumb, did the search and ohhhhh my. I have seen a lot of basses in my time that has to be one of the best looking basses I have seen, arrrgghhh I don't have that sort of cash. The bolt on version seems nice but that is amazing.

Was really thinking of a corvette/streamer but now....

I've always found that the neck thru basses have the better, slimmer feeling necks, even though the nut width is identical on nearly all models except the Dolphin 4 string. Even a newish Stage 1 feels fine, there is, as already mentioned still some variation in neck thickness in the same models thru the years. For me a Stage 1 4 string represents real good value if you look at the prices they are going for, unless you want a specific pick up set up such as the $$, I reckon it's worth trying to scrape together the extra dollar!!
I Dolphin 5, this has a nice neck, if anything the string spacing is a little too tight for me, the Dolpohin rnge seems to be the opposite of the Stage 1 basses, the Dolphin 4 has a wider nut than the Stage 1 4 string, yet the Stage 1 5 string goes down the broad neck route whilst the Dolphin is narrower.

Warwci now offer a custom neck profile thru their custom shop, it's a lot of $$ though. I spoke to a UK custom geezer a few years back who said it was real easy to shave warwick necks down so they feel a lot slimmer, it doesn't take a lot of wood, you just gotta know where to take it from!

Tony (waffling on a sunday morning)

The Corvette $$ Bolt on neck is thicker than your average Ibanez, but it isn't baseball bat-like. Still pretty fast, and I have fairly small hands. I'll never go back to Ibanez style necks after my $$. Incredible bass for the money

Haven't tried a Streamer, but they tend to be more expensive and use Maple necks (Unless you go Jazzman). I believe the neck size is similar, but you won't get any of the $$'s versatility. And those dual humbuckers look f@cking cool