Why become a member? ×

SWR or MARK BASS

alloy70

Hi guys need some help on weather to go with swr or mark bass,i have my eyes on an swr 750x head and 6x10 goliath cab.could any one please give me there advice on this setup?.the only thing that is putting me off is the weight compared to the markbass stuff.the swr head and cab retails on thomann for 3grand euro,i have been offered the same rig for 1300euro.mark bass seems to be alot cheaper,if i go with swr am i making a big mistake.

Only person that can answer that question is you. I am a MarkBass fan, (I have 2 MB heads), but couple them up to an EAD Cab or a pair of Zoot, (now Purpole Chili), cabs. It's my "Sonic Nirvana". It won't suit everyone though. You really need to try the rigs you propose or at least offer some kind of info as to what music you play, what sound you are looking for etc.
I had an SWR Triad, (until the EAD came along), and it was probably the best cab I have ever owned. The EAD trumped it big style.

[quote name='alloy70' timestamp='1327618616' post='1514466']
Thanks for the reply bassbuny.in your proffesional opinion what mark bass set up would give me a mark king type sound?could you please be specific in what model head...
[/quote]
Again that is a pretty tough question.
Firstly I am a great believer in "The Funk's in the Fingers". A persons sound comes from the way they play more than the Bass or the Amp set-up. i have proved this, to a degree, when a good friend of mine, Geoff Chalmers, dropped in to see me and played all my Basses through my Amp and it sounded just like him playing HIS bass through HIS amp. We are talking completely different set-ups and the same sound.
That said if you want to sound like Mark King he now uses TC Electronic gear, (used to be with Ashdown), so is that the answer? Who knows until you try it.
I find Mark Bass Amps to be pretty transparent but the cabs are quite "warm" and they don't suit me. I went full circle with MB trying EA, Genz, Gallien, TC etc. etc and than back to Mark Bass. The revelation was the EAD Cab. You can get any sound you like out of it as it is a three way design with controls for mid and tweeter. I am now thinking of trying a TC again as I loved the 3 channel idea and the footpedal. I reckon it would be awesome with the EAD.
Sorry i have rambled a bit, but i reckon any Mark Bass Amp, (I have a Little Mark II and an SA450), would do the job, but unsure what MB Cab to use as Mark King has a fairly "middy" bright sound.
Why not try a TC Classic and a TC 2x12. Crackin set-up and they can be picked up pretty reasonably on here and it is pretty lightweight.

Before I say anything, I must declare I'm an SWR fanboy!

I've previously owned a 750x and I'm of the opinion it's a great amp. Very easy to get a good tone and a very loud 750w! Pairing that with the Goliath Snr 610 should make for a killer rig.

As to whether you can make it sound like Mr King will in part be down to your hands, part your choice of bass, and part your choice of amp! If I recall correctly, Mr King favoured the Trace Elliott and later the Ashdown (signature) graphic eq'd heads to shape his unique tone. Sadly the 750x, as good an amp as it is, doesn't give you the precise tonal adjustment that a twelve band graphic equipped amp will.

If you really want the Mark King sound I'd suggest that neither the SWR or the Markbass is going to cut it for you. The Ashdown MK heads come up for sale occasionally on here and on eBay, and I've recently seen the monolithic Ashdown MK combo on eBay too (provided you've a strong back!). If that's the sound you want, then this would be a much better choice IMHO.

Hi Alloy go for the markbas iv got just about every bass guitar and amp you can name and after tryng them all i now use a markbass combo 2x10 and a markbass 151hf 1x15 and cannot fault it also i can carry them without breaking my back .The markbass will still get you your money back when you sell it hope this helps.Good luck with what ever you buy.

Thanks hadge i took yours and everybody elses advice on this forum and went for mark bass.STD 102HF.MO MARK LMK HEAD.TRAVELLER121H..so far happy as larry.my streamer stage 11 5string and sting ray have never sounded better,really happy i went on to basschat for top notch advice,thank you guys for all yor kind help :gas: