Why become a member? ×

Recording using FL Studio.

Grassie

Hi all,

I've been using FL Studio 7 for a while now, and have managed to complete some fairly decent electronica tunes using this software. But now I'm at the stage where I want to get a bit more "bass-centric", and would like to incorporate fretless over some completed backing tracks. The tracks I've made previously have all used the "on-board" bass sounds (in fact, all the instrumentation has come from the software), and tonight I tried to input my passive bass to the on board mixer. I am really struggling with the software for many reasons. First, there is a slight delay between me plucking the string and the sound coming out of the speakers. Second, I can't seem to get a bass sound without it sounding like I'm playing it in a toilet - the echo can be quite bad. Third, I also seem to get a "crackling" sound behind the bass sound, this also appears behind the actual backing track I'm trying to play to. It can get to a point where I have to reset the software because the track just sounds awful - it's a bit like distortion but kind of seperate from the actual music, if that makes sense. I'm using a basic DI box, but it may just be that the PC can't handle it... i don't really know... Frustration is at an all time high.
I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this, so if anyone has any advice for me, please keep it as layman's speak! :P Cheers!

I haven't tried FL Studio for years but you should be able to switch off input monitoring - this is the easiest solution to latency problems.

As for the noise you're recording, that could be coming from anywhere. If you're using a soundcard built into your computer (esp. a cheap all-purpose soundcard rather than a dedicated audio board) then the computer could be the source, or it could be a bad cable, or the lighting in your house, anything.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1327563669' post='1513283']
Sounds like a Latency issue, or if you have input echo in FL, is it engaged.
What Audio/sound card are you using ?
What drivers with the card Asio/Wdm/Mme ?

A bit more info on PC specs and Audio card, and someone might be able to help.

Garry
[/quote]

No echo engaged, PC is a HP Pavillion with Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
Realtek HD Audio
Asio driver (I think)

Cheers :)

To be honest your PC should be ok with FL studio.
Its more than likely to do with that Realtek Audio card.
If you don't want to shell out on an Audio card,
try Asio4all, its a free Asio driver that can help with budget consumer Audio cards.
See if that helps.
Dead easy to set up, download & help here.

[url="http://www.asio4all.com/"]http://www.asio4all.com/[/url]

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1327599740' post='1514065']
To be honest your PC should be ok with FL studio.
Its more than likely to do with that Realtek Audio card.
If you don't want to shell out on an Audio card,
try Asio4all, its a free Asio driver that can help with budget consumer Audio cards.
See if that helps.
Dead easy to set up, download & help here.

[url="http://www.asio4all.com/"]http://www.asio4all.com/[/url]

Garry
[/quote]

Nice one Lowdown, :) I've just downloaded that. I'll have another go with FL Studio / bass a bit later. I'll let you know how I get on! :D
Cheers!

[quote name='michael-faces' timestamp='1327600637' post='1514085']
I've got Fl Studio as well and I find it pretty bad for recording audio. I recommend using something different for audio, maybe Reaper?
[/quote]

Yep, the early versions were not that great for Recording Audio.
However, FL Studio 10 is a different animal and records Audio great.
The MIDI side of it is excellent.

Garry

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1327522660' post='1512946']
...I also seem to get a "crackling" sound behind the bass sound, this also appears behind the actual backing track I'm trying to play to. It can get to a point where I have to reset the software because the track just sounds awful - it's a bit like distortion but kind of separate from the actual music, if that makes sense...
[/quote]

I've got FL Studio 7 and have no trouble recording audio with it.

I had the 'crackling' problem too, and it baffled me for a while. I use an Edirol UA-5 audio interface, and it turned out I needed to disable the PC's onboard sound card. The problem stemmed from trying to use both simultaneously.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327606831' post='1514221']
I've got FL Studio 7 and have no trouble recording audio with it.

I had the 'crackling' problem too, and it baffled me for a while. I use an Edirol UA-5 audio interface, and it turned out I needed to disable the PC's onboard sound card. The problem stemmed from trying to use both simultaneously.
[/quote]
This sounds like the problem I've got. The crackling occurs when I've used FL and WMP at the same time. After listening to something from my library I've gone back into FL and tried to play back one of my tracks - only to find this type of distortion under the track. Does my head in it does... :huh:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327609014' post='1514261']
I don't use WMP and FL Studio at the same time - in fact WMP throws up an error if I've got FL launched.
Why do you need to use FL and WMP at the same time, incidentally?
[/quote]
Never had an error message when I've used them together. When I've completed a track I'll move it to my library for ease of reference, Sometimes I'll use my library for a little inspiration while composing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...(cough!) ;)
When I was using FL last night, the distortion was happening without having WMP open. I'm a total novice when it comes to technical issues I'm afraid. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've solved the glitching (crackling) problems on FL studio, but I still can't get a decent sound when I plug my bass in. I can't get the input volume up, it sounds distorted, and I'm just about ready to put my foot through the PC. I've downloaded Audacity, but I cant get an input signal on that either. If I record on Audacity it will pick the signal up (with a nice little buzzing in the background) but I can't hear anything until I play it back.
As I've mentioned, I am a complete novice. Is it my PC? Is it my DI box (QTX active injection box)? Surely it can't be that hard to get the sound I want (i.e. any sound).....

Without actually sitting in front of your computer, it's hard to say. If you really are a complete novice, it may be worth spending some time sitting down and closely reading the help files systematically. It's possible that you may be doing something very slightly wrong or have missed some tiny step in the process that would make all the difference.

And as Garry says (above) you do need a decent Audio Interface. I'm using an EDIROL UA-5 which is getting on a bit, but it's a nice-sounding high-quality bit of kit. I have no problems recording audio in FL Studio - [i]but I did at first![/i] I've been using it for two or three years now. You can get a very good interface these days for around fifty quid - the Lexicon range is great, a mate of mine uses the Alpha and his recordings sound totally amazing.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HVXMNE/ref=asc_df_B000HVXMNE6477309?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000HVXMNE"]http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000HVXMNE[/url]

Edited by discreet

Hey, thanks chaps. I think I'm going to sit down with it and do the systematic thing. It's something I need to get out of my system to see if I can produce something worthwhile. Electronica underneath a kind of melodic fretless/fretted bass playing thing... :blink: Mick Karn, Pino, Mark King, Michael Manring, just some weird stuff I have to get off my chest! :D I'm not the sort of person to sit down and read the manual usually, but patience is a virtue and all that. The PC could do with an overhaul anyway, and I think this is the time to do it.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on. :)